Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastfeeding friendly pediatricians

SteveAldred is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Breastfeeding friendly pediatricians

Hi, this is my first post.

I have seen other posts on here about pediatricians, but wanted to define my needs, and also specify the reasons why I am looking for a particular type of pediatrician (and give a bit of background).

First, I am the father of a one-year-old child. We follow an attachment parenting model, and he still nurses, but also takes plenty of nourishment from solids. He's a very healthy, happy baby boy.

My wife and son will join me shortly in Hong Kong. We are looking for a pediatrician who is truly breastfeeding friendly, and who doesn't mind giving an unpaid consultation to prospective patients, (even if that consultation is a group session for prospective patients). If anyone has any ideas of doctors who may fit this profile, please let me know?

We're going to be living on an outlying island, so appreciate that we will have to travel for the pediatrician, but that's okay.

Many thanks,

Steve Aldred

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Hi Steve,
    I think your chances of finding a pediatrician who won;t charge for an initial consultation are extremely slim. (You know, this is HK - everyone is out to make a buck).
    Dr Yvonne Ou (Central Medical Clinic) - 28240822 is fantastic.
    If by an outlying island, you mean Lantau, then Dr Siu at Island Health in DB is great - but she is a GP, not a Ped. BUt very pro-breastfeeding,and really in tune with mums and bubs.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I've been very happy with Dr Thondup and he is defintely pro breastfeeding. In fact I've known a couple of mothers who changed doctors when their babies were about 12 months because they didn't want to tell him that they had weaned!

Dr Tanpa Thondup
    Veritas Medical Practice, Suite 2902, Bank of America Tower, 12 Harcourt Road, Central, Hong Kong
    Telephone: 2877 3118
    web site:
    Last edited by barbwong_130; 03-21-2008 at 05:32 PM.

papaof2 is offline Registered User
    The doctors mentioned here are all in Central... Are there any good pediatricians in Kowloon or NT???

jools is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay
    I would also recommend Dr Thondup, he's very caring and very pro-breastfeeding. Often doctors who appear pro-breastfeeding will recommend changing to a bottle at the slightest hint of a problem, which in my son't case would have been catastrophic if I had followed that advice. Thankfully Dr Thondup was not the one who suggested this-he was fantastic.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Dr Thondup is in favour of breastfeeding - at least for the first year - but I don't know his recommendations past that.

I stopped going to him after the first few visits since he is very expensive and I was confident enough as a second-time mum to disregard any nonsense I got from any doctor about giving up breastfeeding.

I'd suggest that if you and your wife are secure in your parenting skills, you don't need to see Dr Thondup or any other of those 'famous' and expensive pediatricians (It sounds as though you don't have insurance). Are you just going for the regular jabs and for the odd cold? Why not just visit your local medical practice. By 12 months, your son is drawing a lot of nutrition from sources other than breastmilk so, unless he is weighing in on the low side, the doctor should not be too concerned about what 'milk' he's drinking.

Good luck.