Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Still leaking at almost 10 months and other BF and solids questions

mintycat is offline Registered User

Still leaking at almost 10 months and other BF and solids questions

My daughter is almost 10 months old. She has been exclusively breastfed since birth. I have battled engorgement, yeast infection and mastitis in the early months. But lately for the past month or so, I have been leaking only at the 7 pm feed. When I feed her on the left breast first, my right one leaks so much that my shirt is soaked. So yesterday and today, I put in the Medela milk collecting shield and I got half an ounce in there each time!

I pump first thing in the morning because I am usually rushing to take my older one to school and I know my right breast produces more milk than the left one. But why is it leaking all of a sudden? I am planning to wean at about one year. How do I go about doing it?

7 am - EBM 8 oz
    8 am - Breakfast (3-4 oz)
    11 am - BF (only for about 10 mins)
    12 pm - Lunch (3-4 oz)
    3 pm - BF (only for about 15 mins)
    5 pm - Dinner (4 oz)
    7 pm - BF (this one is longer as it is more comfort before bedtime)

Does this sound about right for a 10 month old? She is 21 lbs. Should she drop the 11 am feed soon? Or just let her be? Sometimes she is so full that she cannot finish her lunch. Does it look like she is eating too much?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for reading my novel!!

Also, when she eventually wean, would you recommend that she goes onto cow's milk or formula?

I had latch issues with my older one so I pumped exclusively for her and as you know, the pump is not as effective as the baby so I had to supplement formula with her. I only weaned her off formula and EBM at 18 months and she went onto cow's milk.

The nurse at the well baby clinic told me to wean her onto formula but I know cow's milk is ok for one year olds. I know a lot of local people prefer formula to cow's milk at this age but I just want to know what you guys think about this.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Mintycat,

Do you enjoy the breastfeeding?

If no, then I’d reduce the amount of feeding you do but at the same time watching that your baby stays happy. If she becomes grumpy, fussy or bad tempered then take it as a sign that you are weaning too quickly.

If you enjoy the breastfeeding, try reducing the amount of pumping you do. So that slowly solids can replace the EBM you give and the direct breastfeeding can stay.

It is difficult to say why you have suddenly started to leak again. Have you changed and started doing more pumping? It could be that you are taking out more than the baby would have and so are increasing your supply.

To stop the leaking press the bottom part of your palm, below the thumb, against your nipple as you feed. This will stop the milk coming out and after a couple of days your body usually gets the message. Wearing the breast shields to collect the milk tends to encourage the leaking – not a problem if you want to use it later

A 12 month old baby can drink either formula milk or fresh cow’s milk – formula, however, is a much more processed food than cow’ milk is. Remember that breast milk is still the best milk for your baby – even after she is one year old.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Thanks Sarah, I enjoy the breastfeeding, but I also want to wean because of an upcoming long vacation we are going on and I'd like to be able to go out with the kids on long intervals without having to NIP as I am not comfortable in doing that.

If I reduce the amount of feeding, should I subsitute that feeding with EBM?

As for the leaking, I haven't changed anything at all.

Dear Mintycat,

As you still enjoy breastfeeding I’d keep the breakfast and dinner feeds so that you can have the long gap and still get some breastfeeding in. Your baby is an age that she’ll be able to cope without breastfeeding during the day once she’s used to the idea - the answer to this is to keep her entertained with out things!

Unless you really like pumping I’d also wean her off the EBM and on to other liquids. That way the breastfeeding will become less troublesome and more natural.

There is no need to cut down the feeds that are convenient for you – just the inconvenient ones. Remember that so long as your baby is doing some breastfeeding she is getting the benefits of being a breastfed baby. As your milk supply drops in volume the antibodies in the milk concentrate – so that the baby continues to get a full dose of antibodies even though you are giving less feeds.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Thanks Sarah.

So if I drop the afternoon feeds, do I give her supplements like either formula or cow's milk?

You are right in that if I just do the morning and before bed feed, it will be so much easier for me so I can go out with the kids for longer stretches during the day.

I will start first by weaning off the pump at 11 pm cos she has already dropped that feed a while ago. I will just decrease the pump time by 5 mins over a week. But how do I go about weaning from the breast? Decrease the amount of time she feeds on each breast over a couple of days? Her feed time varies day by day. I get engorged easily still so I want to do it carefully.

Dear Mintycat,

I don’t think it makes much difference whether you give your baby formula, cow’s milk or even solids and water. Babies do still need to have some milk during the day but you will still be given her breast milk. For the rest of her nutrition it depends on what is convenient and fits with your family philosophy.

Some mothers like formula because they believe that it has been made with baby’s nutrition in mind (I’m not sure of this as I think profit plays a large part). Others believe that foods in their natural form (i.e. less processed) are better and so give cow’s milk. And some babies don’t like any milk other than breast milk and so are given solids and other liquids instead. I really don’t think it makes much difference.

The standard suggestion about weaning is “don’t offer, don’t refuse”. This tends to make weaning go quite slowly. So coupled with this you can also try distraction. Keeping the baby busy with other things so that he doesn’t think to ask for milk.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org