Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How much sleep is right for 2-3months old baby?

fennho is offline Registered User

How much sleep is right for 2-3months old baby?

Hi there

My baby is currently 2months++, going to 3 months soon. She sleeps from 10-11pm to 6-7am! But problem is she doesnt sleep much in the daytime! She naps at mot 20-30mins, and that's it! I read somewhere it's best for babies to sleep around 18hours a day...i'm worried she's not getting enough sleep to grow!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Sounds like you have a great baby who's trained herself to sleep through the night! What I'd ask is if your baby is growing? Is her weight increasing? If so, I wouldn't worry about getting that 18hours of sleep! I actually am in pretty much the same situation as you, my baby sleeps from 11:30-9:30, and naps for about 2-3 hours (1 long nap and 2 short naps) that's only 13 hours of sleep! Sometimes she even misses a meal because she's sleeping...but of course since she's not "sleeping enough" I just let her sleep!

I talked to the doctor yesterday and she just told me to keep track of her weight ...to make she she is gaining weight, and if that is OK then everything else is OK. She also mentioned that until they can drink more, than their evening stretches can not be expected to be too long. As for the naps, where is she napping? My daughter can nap anywhere, but some babies can be easily distracted. Is yours? If she is, then perhaps her naps should be in her bed so that she knows that it is "bed time" in a sense. Do bright lights bother her? Perhaps you can dim the light a bit (I would not get her used to sleeping in pitched black rooms since it will be lots of trouble in the long run). Let me know how things go!

MLBW Guest
    My son didn't sleep at night like your baby does at 2-3 months (he started at around 5 months)--and he doesn't take naps much--never has--not because he doesn't need to sleep--but you know what they say--"you can lead the baby to the bed but you can't make them sleep" :0) Even now at 13 months I am so happy if he sleeps for an hour in the afternoon. I read that babies need at least 14 hours of sleep a day--so he sleeps 12 hours straight now if he gets to bed on time (6-7:30 pm) and sometimes he sleeps for another couple of hours during the day--sometimes not. Eighteen hours a day seems a little excessive in my opinion--maybe some babies are like that but my son was way to alert and wanting to be a part of things from birth to be like that. Maybe newborns sleep that much but by the end of the newborn phase (3 months) that seems like a lot of time to be sleeping. Like Lesliefu said, if the baby is alright in other aspects of health then I wouldn't stress about sleep just yet.

fennho is offline Registered User
    hi lesliefu
    thanks...but i noticed u have been answering questions posted on outdated threads. Hehe. My baby is now coming to 12mths and sleeping well now. :) Do check out the date of the post, but i reckon someone else who might be having the same problem might benefit from ur belated answers though. :)