Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Hiring two helpers - any advice?

Query is offline Registered User

I have a helper looking after my baby girl who is 9 months old now. I am expecting my second baby in a couple of months' time and as I work full time, I have applied for another helper and is expecting her in 2 months or so. I want to ask those with experience in hiring 2 helpers how I should manage them from the start. I have heard many horror stories about the 2 helpers arguing and fighting about holidays, job responsibilities etc......... How should I allocate their jobs (washing, cleaning, cooking etc)? Should it be on an alternate basis, ie each does all the tasks on a rotational basis? Should I alternate their responsibilities with my 2 children so none is exclusively familiar with one child? what about holidays? My current helper wants to take exclusive sundays off and wants the new old to take saturdays offs only. I am thinking whether I should let her have her way and tell the new old (who has never worked in HK or anywhere else before) that she can only have saturdays off. But I am concerned that my current helper will think I will give her preferential treatment, particularly in relation to other duties, just because she was hired first. I don't want to be creating a situation whereby she thinks she is superior to the new helper. If anyone could give me some helpful advice, thanks alot and much appreciated!!

josoo is offline Registered User

I have two helpers and can give you some guidance!! Been there and done that. Some things to watch out for....pls email me at [email protected]

VegemiteKid is offline Registered User
    Hi, i am about to hire a second helper to look after my second child also due in two months. I was thinking of having the second helper live out. Would love to hear others experiences with getting a second helper on board. And pitfalls to avoid.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    I think Query is spot on with some of the potential problems with 2 helpers. I currently have 2 helpers and I have been through some of the very issues you mentioned. I worked out a schedule for them where they rotate every week, so bubs is not too attached to any one. In any case, it gives them a bit of variety - bubs is a fussy baby and I can understand that it can be tiring dealing with him 24-7.

I didn't allow any one to dictate which holidays they are taking - I usually rotate so one gets Sunday off one week, and the other the next week - I just think its fair for both of them. Its important to set that out at the very beginning so there is no doubt/questions, and hence no argument.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    we have 2 helpers too, and 2 kids, doing the same thing that Konradsmom is doing. they rotate between housework and kids on alternate weeks. i stay home so i do kids duty too. i think that works well so that bubs don't get too attached to one person and also, taking care of the kids is most of the time more tiring than house chores, so i find that they are more refreshed with the kids when it comes to their week after a week of 'rest'.

for rest days, we have the 'older' one takes Sunday and the newer helper takes Sat. that was set out from the beginning and we have no problems. one problem with alternating Sundays and Saturdays between the two is that it's hard for them to have a 'fixed' group of friends. we tried that with another helper before and it did not work as well. now, my 'saturday off' helper has her friends and church to go to on saturdays, they're fine as long as it is consistent.

we have the odd argument here and there, when the house gets really quiet for a few days. other than that, we've been quite lucky that they really get along. good luck ;) i was worried at first, but it could work out.