Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Getting an Australian passport for HK born baby

jane01 is offline Registered User
    We have 2 little Aussies born in HK and followed the same procedure tstmum described. We first travelled overseas when my eldest was 5 weeks. So whilst it is all a sleep-deprived hazy memory now, we did get everything done within the first 5 weeks. I recommend you get all the forms filled out NOW then all you need to do after the birth is do the photograph (which might not be easy if you have a sleepy newborn). Also, I sent my husband out to do ALL the form filling/lining up/running around after baby arrived.

If you really want to be in Australia for Christmas, I suggest you go earlier and have the baby there !

Are you or your husband Chinese? The reason for asking is that I "think" one of the parents has to be Chinese before your baby can qualify for a HK passport.

Matty is offline Registered User
    To be eligible for a HK passport, either you or your husband must be Chinese.

From memory once we had the application in, the Australian passport was about a week.
    You will have time to get birth certificates, Oz citizenship, and the passport, but the tricky bit is the passport photo.
    Unfortunatley the Aust. govt are just as fussy with babies photos as they are with adults.

The baby must have it's eyes open, mouth closed, head dead straight etc.
    As my son cried just about every minute he was awake for the first 3 mths, it took us 11 weeks to get our photo!

Of course most people manage just fine, and I've had many friends that travelled as early as a few weeks after the birth.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    My husband and i and my first born are all australian citizens with aussie passports. My second child was born in HK but we are yet to organise his passport :( It hasn't stopped us travelling there however. Our travel agent simply organised a visa. It was free of charge and took a day. It ended up being a photocopied bit of paper that we tucked into my husband's passport. I'd do this. You'll have just had a baby. Concentrate on that for the first few months, have your holiday, then come back and arrange the passport.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jane01 View Post
    Are you or your husband Chinese? The reason for asking is that I "think" one of the parents has to be Chinese before your baby can qualify for a HK passport.
    My husband was born in Hong Kong and moved to Australia when he was about 6. After he got Australian citizenship, his whole family renounced their Chinese nationality because his Dad suffered a lot under communism. So although he was BORN in Hong Kong, he isn't a "Chinese national" so he has a permanent ID card, but only one star instead of three (the same as if he'd just lived here for 7 years and then gotten his permanent ID like that)...

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Unfortunatley the Aust. govt are just as fussy with babies photos as they are with adults.

The baby must have it's eyes open, mouth closed, head dead straight etc.
    That is completely insane! Within a few months, the baby will hardly even resemble his/her passport photo anyway!! They should be more lenient for babies, I think!!

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
    My husband and i and my first born are all australian citizens with aussie passports. My second child was born in HK but we are yet to organise his passport :( It hasn't stopped us travelling there however. Our travel agent simply organised a visa. It was free of charge and took a day. It ended up being a photocopied bit of paper that we tucked into my husband's passport. I'd do this. You'll have just had a baby. Concentrate on that for the first few months, have your holiday, then come back and arrange the passport.
    How does that work? Does the baby have a passport at all?? Or they don't need a passport that young? Can you give me more info about that?? Thanks!!

vrombola is offline Registered User
    I had the same situation in Nov 2007 and took my baby back to Oz for xmas so you should be ok. The steps above are correct, first get a birth certifcate (apply for this when in hospital and get your husband go collect it), then go to the Australian consulate and apply for a citizenship certificate. This will take two weeks, but when you go to collect it take all your passport application stuff with you and apply for that when you're there (they let me do it). Just make sure you get the right photo for the bub so your passport application doesn't get rejected.

And the best thing you can do is call the consulate and have them send you (1) citizenship application and (2) passport application and have all this filled out BEFORE you go to hospital (as much as you can, anyway).

Good luck!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    How does that work? Does the baby have a passport at all?? Or they don't need a passport that young? Can you give me more info about that?? Thanks!!
    I'll have to ask my husband but if i recall correctly our baby had his british passport already. It is much easier to get a british passport (if you are eligible of course) than it is an australian. I guess he travelled on the british passport and used a visa to get into Oz.

i second the comments about the ridiculousness of trying to get a newborn to look at the camera for a passport photo. we took hundreds of photos at home before we got one we could use. We just emailed it to a photo/camera shop and they put it on a suitable background.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast