Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Getting an Australian passport for HK born baby

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Getting an Australian passport for HK born baby

I'm currently pregnant with my first child, due late Oct, early Nov. I know often with first babies, women often go overdue - so my baby could be born as late as say mid November if my due date is "later" rather than "earlier", and if I go late as well...

I want to get back to Australia for Christmas with my husband and the baby - and I need to know if I have enough time to get the baby Australian citizenship and an Australian passport in this time.

Do I need to apply for citizenship and have that approved before I can begin the application process for the passport? Approximately how long would the whole process take? Is it possible to pay extra to rush it? Both my husband and I are Australian citizens - me through birth, him through naturalisation - so there should be no problem...

Anyway - I've looked online for info and found some, but nothing which really answers the question of do I have enough time and can I rush it, if needs be!!

Thanks!

Nicole

joshsmum is offline Registered User

Hi Nicole,

I am also Australian and will be getting an Australian passport for my first baby (I'm due 3rd of May).

Were you looking at the Hong Kong Australian consulate website for the info?

I've been told you need to apply for the Citizenship by Descent for your baby (see information down the bottom of the page on this weblink: http://www.hongkong.china.embassy.go...MG_Citizn.html ) and then the passport. It says that the processing time for this document is 2 weeks (the Citizenship by Descent). I can't find information on how long the passport takes though on the website.

Perhaps you can give the Consulate a call on 2827 8881 to enquire?

There are also a few aussie mums on here too, so maybe they can provide some information on how long it took from their experience.

Belinda

joshsmum is offline Registered User

Actually I just found the passport information - it says it takes a minimum of 10 working days to process provided all the required information has been received.

I'm printing out all the forms at the moment and making sure I get all my documents together, as we want to travel soon after bubs arrival too.

This is from the passport applications information list on the consulate's website:

Passports Australia aims to issue a full validity travel document in a minimum of 10 working days
    provided you have met all the statutory requirements and given us all the information we need. If
    you have an urgent and unforseen need to travel, it may be possible to issue you with an Emergency
    Passport at an additional cost to the applicant. Strict conditions are applied to the issue of an Emergency Passport which will be explained to you at the time of application.

This link has more info about Emergency Passports : http://www.hongkong.china.embassy.go...VAU_EmgPp.html

I don't know if you could qualify for the Emergency passport though, the last line on the link above states:

The issue of an Australian Citizenship Certificate will take on average ten working days. The issue of a full validity Australian Passport will take a further ten working days. Parents should take this into account when planning travel with newborn children.

So it looks like the turn around is usually about 4 weeks.

Belinda

Last edited by joshsmum; 03-25-2008 at 04:12 PM.

karenchan is offline Registered User

I applied the citizenship for my baby in 11-Jan, and got it on 21-Jan, so it takes 7 working days for process. After got the citizenship, then I applied the passport, it also takes around 7 working days. So, I think it should be enough time for you to get it. Be remember, you need to get the HK certificate first.

minky80 likes this.

rachrobin is offline Registered User

I am also in a very similar situation. The above info is all correct from what I've researched (10 days for citizenship, another 10 for the passport). I asked if we can pay extra to rush it and the answer was no.
    I also don't know how long it takes to get the HK certificate?
    Also, keep in mind that you or your baby may not be physically ready to fly within 6 weeks of the birth. Touch wood, you will both be 100% fine, but if there are any small complications (i.e. jaundice, slow lung development etc. you may find yourself grounded for a while longer.

Good luck!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

A lot of those complications are more associated with premature birth though right? And so if the baby is premature, we should have MORE time to get all the papers sorted out right?

I also wanted to ask - has anyone in my situation gotten a Hong Kong passport for their baby first to make it quicker, and then changed to Australian citizenship later on? I know that's not ideal but maybe it's our best choice, I don't know... and I want to have it "planned" so that I know what I'm doing when the baby is born!!

I REEAALLYY want to get back to Australia for Christmas. I've been in Hong Kong for the past 2 Christmases, and I'll CRY if I have to endure another one here!!

tstmum is offline Registered User

The steps to getting an Australian passport if your baby is eligible for citizenship by descent:
    1. Get the birth certificate - the hospital registers the birth and then you need to collect the certificate. Check how often your hospital sends in the registration forms, eg, Matilda only does it on a Monday for the previous week's deliveries so if you deliver on a Tuesday then you can't get the certificate until the following week. But I expect if you explain your circumstances then they may be able to register it earlier (might need to pay a fee?).
    2. Apply for citizenship by descent, which is approx 10 working days
    3. Apply for Australian passport, which takes 10-14 working days. Make sure that the photo is correct, as they can be really picky about this and can slow the process.
    4. Once you have the passport then you need to go to HK immigration to get the baby's visa. This was really quick, might have even been same day.

I don't think your baby would be eligible for an HK passport.

Good luck! Hope you make it home for Christmas!!

Amanda Chen is offline Registered User

I totally understand how much you want to go back for coming christmas.
    From what I know, you cannot use any other passport to get into Austalia if you have an Australian citizenship. My sons have American passports and are Australian citizenship. So I wo'nt recommed that you do HK passport first, and change to Austalian ones. It's just too risky for future problems. Why don't you go to Austalian Consulate to clarify your questions in person? They had been very helpful when my aunt had some problems with her expired visa last time. Good Luck!

Bakerzl likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast