Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feeding schedule for twins w/ an older sibling?

e-mum is offline Registered User

Feeding schedule for twins w/ an older sibling?

Just wondering how other mums of twins w/ an older sibling manage their feeding schedule? My twins have just turned 6 mths. So I have been introducing them to solids now. Can you also mention your daily schedule regarding sleeping and nap times as well!

Does anyone follow the Gina Ford book for twins? I already have a routine myself, but I was wondering if others have other advice to pass on!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i don't have twins, but i have 3 sets of twin cousins...
    i think for your own sanity, it would be easiest to introduce solids at the same meal times as the older child.
    so if your older one has breakfast at 7:30am, then give the babies something too. i would start with one meal per day for a week or so, then increase it to twice for a couple more weeks, then up to three times per day by 8 or 9 months.

if you start feeding different children at different times you are going to be exhausted and feeling like you are always feeding someone.

good luck!

Mousugumama is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I have older twins (almost 3) with 5 month old baby and we do try to match the feeding/nap time of the baby with the twins. It is difficult to do all of the kids at the same time especially when twins are being difficult but I figured it will be easier than trying to change routine in the future. I did not read Gina Ford book for twins but the book for the singleton was good enough for me to develop my own routine for the twins.
    Good luck!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    My oldest was 2 1/2 when the twins were born. At 4 months they were on a 2 nap schedule (and very early bedtime). That way they could lunch / do their afternoon nap at the same time (1 pm). Dinner would be twins first, then to bed, then my oldest (now we do it all together; they're 16 months now). During the morning nap I had time with the oldest (unless she was in school). I would feed them breakfast together, then a snack after their first nap, lunch all together (they were on bread at 6 months; I started at 4 months), then a bottle and some puffs (Gerber, we were in the States at that time) after their afternoon nap. Then dinner all together (my oldest would eat a snack).

Once they get older, it gets easier and easier. They can put things in their own mouth. I would sit in the middle, either one in the high chair (Stokke) on each side and I would go from left to right. In the beginning, I did 2 spoons ... but I gave up very quickly, they still share forks and spoons.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    Pok Fu Lam
    my oldest is 2.8 and twins are 10 months, since 6 months old they have all eaten & nap at the same time. here's what are day looks like (all times are ish)

7 / 7.15: all have milk then nappies changed & dressed
    8 / 8.30: all have breakfast
    9.15: twins nap for 45 mins
    11.45 / 12: all have lunch
    12.30 / 12.45: story & nap (twins down first, as toddler takes more negotiating)
    3.30 / 4.00: twins have bottle
    5.30 / 5.45: dinner
    6.15: bath for twins while toddler watches 10 mins tv
    6.45: bed for twins
    7.00: bed for toddler

I find it lovely having that gap in the middle of the day where they are all asleep, and previous poster is right - eating all at the same time, although hectic, is better than feeding all day!

hope this helps.