Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Take helper to Australia

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Take helper to Australia

Does anyone know of someone or helped their helper move with them to Australia under a student visa?

Did you find it difficult to obtain? How did she cope with the change in lifestyle in Australia?

Thanks

spockey is offline Registered User
    You will need to show that you are capable of supporting this person financially if you are planning to be her sponsor.

As I understand it, anyone on a student visa can only work for 20 hours/week. Unless the rules have changed. You are also expected to pay her minimum wage regardless of whatever private arrangement you have entered with her.

That is the idea.

And they are allowed to work full time during school holidays. 20 hours only during school I believe.

Thanks

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Yes, and they will also have to be registered as a full-time students at an accredited institution, and will have to pay international student fees, which are very expensive. And they have a 'progress' requirement - if they're not passing classes, they can be asked to leave the country
    Honestly, for the cost, you'd be better off paying for what you need, or using the communal child care centres.

Have done the numbers and a daycare centre may be good for one child but as soon as you have to double the cost for two it starts to get $$$ they are also only open between 8 and 6pm and charge an arm and leg for every minute (yes minute rate) past that time.

i am in the fortunate position to have a helper with a brain - she has studied in her home country.

I have heard of people assisting helpers to the UK under a student visa - can anyone share how they found this? How did you structure her pay/tutition? How did she cope with the new country and no network like here?

20 hour limit is during the school term. During holidays, student visa holders are allowed to work more hours. Most are able to work 9 to 5 with no problems legally.

There is a large Indonesian network in Randwick and a large Filipino network in Bankstown if you are heading back to Sydney. If your helper will be a student, there will be a cultural network as there is always an Indonesian club or a an international club.

Your helper MUST attend 90 per cent of classes if she is going to TAFE and 80 per cent if it's a uni programme. And, she MUST be a full-time student. This means a commitment of at least 3 subjects (dependent on institutions). International students on an Australian student visa are not allowed to complete online courses except for perhaps 25 percent of the entire course load. HappyV is correct too, student visa renewal is subjected to the student's success in achieving at least a pass.

When you take into account the number of hours she needs to be at TAFE or uni, you'd find that you are no better off unless you are a SAHM. Each lecture is about a 2 hour block and tutorials are the same. Multiply that by 4 subjects (more if it's a TAFE programme and with TAFE, there are many minor P/F subjects), You are looking at at least 16 hours (plus travel time and lunch time if modules are split during morning and afternoon) per week Monday-Friday.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    I guess it depends on how many hours per week/weekend Mum intends on working.
    I wouldn't have thought it was a question of having a helper with a brain - most helpers I know have one. It's more that if you expect someone to care more-or-less full time for your kids, plus study fulltime, then it's very hard work for your helper.
    One thing to think about - will your helper be driving? How will kids get to and from KG or activities?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast