Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Transporting breast milk

JANE892 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Transporting breast milk

Hello- I'm moving to Kuala Lumpur soon. I've worked really had at the BFing (still only feeding with Breast milk...he won't take formulae)..
    I've managed to get a reasonable supply in the freezer (about 1.2kg of frozen milk). My breast milk feels like gold to me (as I'm sure any one
    with supply issues also feels!) so it breaks my heart to have to throw it all out when we leave HK. What...I'd like to do is to get it sent to KL (frozen) so
    I can use it later on when he's older and I start to wean (mixed with rice cereal etc!). I've contacted a moving co. and they said its not possible to send
    frozen "food stuff" into other countries. Of course I can't let the milk defrost and then re-freeze it....your not allowed to do that with breast milk.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as I've run out of ideas on this one.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I don’t know how feasible this is for you but mothers I’ve known have used dry ice to keep milk frozen on flights.
    Good luck,
    La Leche League Leader

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I went on a trip without my baby back in Jan and here was what I did. I pumped at the hotel and requested that the hotel freeze the milk for me. When it was time for me to come back to HK, I wrapped all the frozen milk very tight in glad wrap, then newspaper with dry ice in between layers. Then I put them in plastic bags tightly insulated and stuff them in a cooler bag. I also bought those ice pack to stuff in the cooler bag just in case. After the 6 hour trip (door to door), the milk was still frozen when I unpacked them.

Note: I had to check in the cooler bag in my luggage because you are not allowed to bring it on the plane with you.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, Mid Levels
    you can send food, it depends on whether KL is an open port or not. dry ice is perfect, or if thats not available or acceptable into KL because of the chemicals, then pack inside thermos type flasks inside polystyrene packing boxes filled with gel ice packs and use a reliable courier. Not cheap but thats the way we are getting oysters sent from NZ!