Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Breastfeeding Mom with Stomach Flu

carang is offline Registered User
    my helper, my baby and i were all down with it last week...at the same time. it was truly awful!

noc
    noc is offline Registered User
    Dear Sarah, I have a bad eye infection and the doctor prescribed (1) Lotemax whose active ingredient is Loteprednol Etabonate and (2) Fucithalmic whose active ingredients are Fusidic Acid and Benzalkonium Chloride. Can you please help me check if these are OK while breastfeeding? The doctor seemed uncertain and said "it SHOULD be ok," and also suggested that I stop breastfeeding to cure my infection?! I searched online, but found nothing. Can you please help me check your book to see if they are safe? Thank you so much!

rebekah is offline Registered User
    noc,

call La Leche League to have them look it up if sarah doesn't get back to you on here quickly. they have the book and are happy to help out.

www.lllhk.org

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Loteprednol is an ophthalmic corticosteroid suspension or eye drops used to treat eye swelling caused by surgery, infection, allergies, and other conditions. FDA pregnancy category C.

I couldn't find anything specifically about Loteprednol and breastfeeding but the following is generally about all corticosteroids.

The safety of using corticosteroids while breastfeeding depends on the type of corticosteroid and the form in which it is being used. When taken by mouth or injection, for example, the drugs pass into breast milk and may cause growth problems in nursing babies. Creams, gels, and other forms that are applied to the skin are not known to cause problems in nursing babies whose mothers use them. However, these medicines should not be applied to the breasts just before breastfeeding.
    http://www.geocities.com/stopchickenpox/steroids.html

Fusidic Acid
    has not been specifically studied in women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. However, the amount of medicine that passes into the bloodstream after applying eye drops is negligible, and fusidic acid has been widely used by pregnant and breastfeeding women for many years with no apparent harmful effects. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001113.html

Benzalkonium Chloride is used primarily in hand or face washes. Benzalkonium chloride is a synthetic germicides belonging to the large group of germicides known as Quats. Quats have been around for the past 70 years and have been such a huge success that they are now found in literally tens of thousands of cleaning products, disinfectants, and a wide range of personal care and first aid products.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 09-19-2008 at 08:29 PM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

noc
    noc is offline Registered User
    Oh thank you so much!! You and La Leche are such wonderful support to us breastfeeding mothers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12