Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Gina Ford

donkey is offline Registered User

Gina Ford

Hi I was given a book by Gina Ford and am wondering if anyone of you have tried the recommended routines and whether they work. I think the routines are very disciplined (like military training!) and not sure if I should put my baby through it. I also wonder if the routine works wonder on the sleeping through the night issue - especially for newborns below 3 months.

Thanks!

jools is offline Registered User
    I know people who have tried Gina Ford and swear by it. These people tend to like routines and have miraculously given birth to a baby who also likes routines.

Personally I tried it for half a day with my first and after three hours was so frazzled that I gave up, deciding I had given birth to a baby and not a robot. For a while I felt a failure as I had been unable to follow the rules that would produce the perfect baby. However, these feelings soon subsided. I found it much easier to make my life fit around his and once we were 'working' together our own routine fell into place, which was much less stressful and more relaxing.

For those that it works for, fantastic, but please don't see it as a blanket approach, not all children are built the same way-as my three will agree.

And before you start using the book, a point to consider is that Gina Ford has never had any children of her own.

spockey is offline Registered User
    Like Jools said, you must like routines. Requires perseverance and your bub MUST co-operate. We've used Gina Ford from birth and it's been successful.
    Bub has slept from through the night from 5 weeks old. Today at 2 and a bit, he sleeps at 7-7:30 through til 6:30 - 7:30.

If you do not have a co-operative baby, just dump the book. There are many other alternatives out there e.g. the Baby Whisperer.

cool-gaga is offline Registered User
    I put bubs on Gina Ford routine at week 5 and she slept through at week 8 - from 11pm to 7am. It took a bit of effort initially but once she's on it she runs the routine herself. I must say we do not follow everything exactly eg the lunch time nap doesn't seem to be working well but I let her catch up her nap in the afternoon.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Just a word of warning about using Gina Ford routines if you are hoping to breastfeed. In her book she says that she supports breastfeeding but many of the routines are not compatible with getting the breastfeeding to work, especially in the first six weeks.

When it comes to a choice between breastfeeding working or the routines working Gina Ford gives advice about getting the routines to work. A lactation consultant or La Leche League Leader will give you information about getting the breastfeeding to work.

Often the two are not compatible.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

capital is offline Banned
    I haven't read this book so canèt comment on it specifically, but I do stay away from really strict books. I just do not see how all or most babies could be on the same routine, when all babies are different. I think if you follow your own babys cues and learn to tell when they are tired, hungry etc that that is best for your individual baby, after all you baby does know what it needs. As far as BF goes , the best milk supply will happen when you feed your baby on demand. Over the course of the first year you baby will adjust to your family routine. For example a 1 year old eats when you eat your meals, a newborn doesn't.

rani is offline Administrator
    have a read through this article on Baby Routines by Yvonne

http://www.geobaby.com/articles/baby/baby-routines/

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    I have read both Gina Ford and Babywhisperer. thnk the latter is much more flexible in terms of the timing, since she stresses the ORDER of things instead of what time whichever activity takes place.

However, I always have this question in mind - I was told by a sleep consultant that bubs must be in bed by 7pm. Otherwise, it would be too late and he would be overtired. Must (and do most mothers) stick with the 7pm bedtime, or is the schedule something we can shift around a bit to fit our lifestyles? e.g. bedtime around 8:30pm.

I have to say bubs doesn't always feel tired and sleep at the same time everyday so putting him on a routine doesnt' seem to always work.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast