Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

growth spurt - 12th week or 3rd month?

fennho is offline Registered User

growth spurt - 12th week or 3rd month?

Hi mommies

I've read in most books saying babies normaly have growth spurt where they suddenly want to eat more per day than usual and this happens at around 6-8weeks and then the next one is 3-4mth...would like to ask if we count by month or weeks? My gal is now 12wks but if u count by month, she's not yet 3month....I'm always curious how do we calculate actually? She has been sleepg from 9-ish to 6-ish, and her last feed is usually ard 9pm and will last her to abt 6am. Today she suddenly woke up whimpering and crying..and rooting for my breast (I do TBF) at 1am!!. Latch her on and she suckle vigorously! Which prompted me to question if she is hvg a growth spurt since she is already 12wks old. I know the La Leche group supports feed on demand and there's nothing wrong in givng her the breast as and she she demands for it but I dont wish for her to rely on my breast to fall asleep and making it a habit.

Your views pls, thanks!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    When you are given a time with a baby it is always the average you are given. So babies feed for 30 minutes, they have growth spurts at 3 months or they walk at 13 months.

But the range is also important – always plus or minus for every time given.

30 minutes becomes 15 to 45 minutes

3 months becomes 2 to 4 months

13 months becomes 9 to 18 months.

Remember that all babies are different. So the only guaranteed thing is that your baby will be different from the next.

Generally babies have growth spurts at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months. These growth spurts are the most noticeable ones. It is thought that babies have them about every three weeks. Remember the growth spurt is when the baby is growing physically – he is still growing in between but you may not notice it so much – maybe it is his brain growing rather than his legs.

So yes, it could easily be that your baby is having a growth spurt at 12 weeks.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

hi Sarah
    tks for your input. I am not good in recognizing my bb needs to feed. I know the La Leche group advocates feedg as and when the bb needs even if its comfort suckg, my bb is rejectg the pacifier but I wan to discourage her using my nipple to suckle herself to sleep for fear of over reliant. I can see some symptoms now ie she will do suckg motion, rooting actions even after I've JUST fed her...otherwise she can't go to sleep! But on the other hand, I'm worried its a growth spurt and I misread her cues. If I missed a growth spurt, wat will happen? Does it mean she won't be in the targeted percentile? Sigh...so many things to worry! Sometimes I feel guilty but I don't want her to hv the habit of nursing herself to sleep..am I wrong?

btw, during a growth spurt period, do babies demand feeding whole day long or is it just an additional 1-2 feed on top of her usual routines? For eg. If her routines is always abt 3hour interval, during growth spurts, wats the characteristics like, is she gonna be feedg like 2hourly the entire day or will she jus add 1-2 feed here & there?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    If you want to know if the baby still wants to feed again place her cheek on your breast. If she’s still wants to nurse she will start rooting and try to latch.

When babies are little if they don’t want to nurse they usually fall asleep but as they grow older, say around four months old, they will wriggle and try to get down or sit in your arms and smile at you.

One of the advantages of breastfeeding is that it makes babies sleep. If they aren’t tired they usually fall asleep for about a minute and then wake up again but if they are tired they’ll stay asleep. It is truly an advantage with an over tired baby who doesn’t really know what to do with himself. Five to ten minutes breastfeeding and he’s asleep – and peace reigns again.

Why are you so against feeding to sleep? Some of my favourite memories are my babies asleep in my arms after breastfeeding.

hi barbwong
    haha..i don't think my bb willl sit & smile at me cos I think my bb belongs to the bad temper category type hehe.

As for the reason why im against nursing to sleep becos I am afraid she will be too reliant on my breast to sleep, thus disabling her to learn sleepg on her own next time? At least dats wat I was told...wat if I'm gonna be away next time?
    Last edited by fennho; 03-29-2008 at 11:36 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    remember, your baby isn't even 3 months old!!!
    if she's hungry and rooting... feed her! it is as they get older, say 6-9 months you should start thinking about feeding until asleep.

my girl HAD to suck. after our first night at home, she sucked until my nipple felt like falling off! i gave her a pacifier. my son NEVER had one. but my daughter NEEDED it. I NEEDED IT.

now, she's almost 14 months and there are times that she refuses the pacifier. which i'm glad for. i didn't want her to become reliant on it either.

personally, i believe that a baby needs to feel secure. one way a baby feels secure is through feeding (particularly through breastfeeding). if your baby wants you, give in.

your baby will only be this young once. enjoy it and stop worrying so much! you have a lifetime of worries ahead of you. in 3 months you won't even remember this worry!

Hi barbwong
    regarding feeding to sleep, I'm also worried becos my gal will STILL continue to suck ie nibbling at my nipple even when she has fallen asleep, she is really treating my breast as her pacifier hence I dunno when is enough and when to unlatch and put her down to sleep (stupid mommy) If she becomes too reliant, like a fren of mine whose bb boy treated her breast as pacifier, once unlatch (just like the pacifier drop off) he would woken up and cry. He was clearly tired becos was yawning and rubbg his eyes but jus cudnt stay asleep once his mommy removed her nipple and put him down...hence my fears of my gal behaving like dat. I love cuddling my bb as well (which mom doesn't?) but I'm just worried she becomes too reliant on the nipple for assistance to STAY asleep

Hi carang
    thks for ur input too. Ure prob right but I'm worried now becos I don't wish to foster a bad habit that is difficult to readjustin the future. Also, with my milk ss being established, my breasts are no longer engorged and gull prior to a feedg session so now I hv a hard time knowing when she is truly full or if the feedg sesssion has truly ended. Last time it used to be my breast feels rock hard, she suckle and when I feel it became really soft I know she has had enough, more or less, and it is ok to unlatch her. But now that my breasts has somewhat soften abit, I hv no idea when to unlatch her! I certainly don't wish to feed by watching the clock but if not she can feed up more than hour at every single feed! Which leads me to start worrying (and kept asking Sarah if my supply is diminishing) cos she used to only feed for ard 30mins or so.

I love my bb gal very much, but having to let her suckle for more than an hour at every feed, not knowing when to unlatch, and now potentially becoming a human pacifier to coax her to sleep and stay asleep is draining my energy. Am I being selfish for wanting to minimise this so I can hv some time to myself and complete other things, and also to take care of my poor doggie (who has been neglected since the birth of my bb)? Oh well, rats a totally separate issue isn't it? But it is really like hvg to care for a toddler in the house. :p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast