Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hypnobirthing

Coco is offline Registered User

Hypnobirthing

Hi there,
    Was wondering if anyone has tried the hypnobirthing techniques during birthing simply by reading the book and practicing the techniques without attending the classes ?
    Any special advise would be appreciated ! Thanks....

joyofliving is offline Registered User
    Don't mean to discourage you, just sharing my experience:
    I read the book, tried practicing the breathing and visualization techniques during labour but it didn't work for me. Taking lessons might have helped, but I highly doubt it. Maybe it all depends on individual pain threshold, mine for sure is quite low (Recently discovered after giving birth last month) Good luck!!!!!!!

jools is offline Registered User
    Try contacting Annerley Midwives, I know they run hypnobirthing classes, but they maybe able to give you some titles of books to read. Never tried it myself but my friend swears by it. The midwives were amazed at how far along she was in labour, as she appeared to be in so little pain.

yum-mum is offline Registered User
    I did Hypnobirthing with Annerley and found it very helpful when birthing. I managed to go along with the delivery without any drugs until 7cm dilated. The discomfort was manageable but unfortunately I had to go for an emergency caesarean at the last moment. I have no qualms about trying it yet for my second pregnancy. If anything, the breathing techniques are excellent.

Clowe is offline Registered User
    having just completed 6 hypnobirthing classes at the Annerley myself (I'm due in a few weeks), i don't think i would have gotten nearly as much out of the whole thing by simply reading the book. the classes are really essential in really getting you to understand why and how to relax. the book is actually fairly useless in my opinion - it's one of those concepts that you can only truly absorb through classes.

Eva08 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I also did the Annerley hypnobirthing classes and it worked for me. My labour was about 8 hours (first baby) - when I got to the hospital I was already fully dilated and was only in the delivery room for one hour before the baby arrived!
    Perhaps I was just lucky and had an easy labour but I really do believe the hypnobirthing works - but it probably depends on how susceptible you are to these things. I've tried hypnotherapy before and know that it does work for me.
    The book they use at the Annerley classes (the Mongan method) comes with a cd and I think you really do need to listen to it every day. I think you could do this without going to the classes and it would still work. However, I found the classes to be quite inspiring as they provided positive reinforcement that it would work which definitely helps when you start doubting.
    Also they're useful antenatal classes in themselves as they also discussed other things such as breastfeeding, baby-care etc.

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User

Smile

Coco,

Here's a link to a previous thread about hypnobirthing.

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/hypnobirthing-t121652.html

All I can say, is it worked for me and I was quite skeptical up until the end. However, I did the homework and made sure I listened to the CD once or twice a day.

I had a great birth experience!

Matty is offline Registered User
    I did the course with Annerley, and it was very successful.
    I've since lent my books and cd's to 2 friends who tried to do it without the course.

One was successful, and had a great experience, the other was unfortunatley badgered into an epidural by hospital staff, who insisted she needed to slow down her labour (why when all was fine I'm not sure) which ended in labour stopping all together, resulting in a c-section.

It can be done without attending classes, but the classes will give you additional confidence to tell over keen staff to back off, when intervention isn't really needed.

One of the best things you can do is talk to women who have used the method.
    There are now quite a few of us in HK.
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast