Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Public hospital but private prenatal

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Public hospital but private prenatal

I've decided to have private prenatal check ups because they're more regular and you get better ultrasounds - but I've decided to have my baby at Queen Mary hospital.

My main question is - what is the best time to register at Tsan Yuk if I will do this? I've heard that if you register too early, it could complicate things because you're practically seeing two doctors at the same time - but I don't want to register too late either.

I'm currently about 11 weeks pregnant. I was thinking of registering when I'm 25-30 weeks, but I don't know if this is too late...

Is there anyone else who has been through this way too? What worked for you?

Thanks!!

joyofliving is offline Registered User
    I think now is the right time for you to register, 25-30 weeks would be too late and they might not have a vacancy for you in the following weeks at Queen Mary.
    I was seen by a 2 different doctors everytime I went for my checkup but don't think it had anything to do when I registered.

UKlady is offline Registered User
    Hi there,
    I am doing the same thing as you - antenatal care with a private doctor but delivering at QMH. I'm 24 weeks along now and registered at Tsan Yuk at about 20 weeks, which was just about right I think. I have to say I've been very impressed with the doctors at Tsan Yuk (they are very thorough), and am actually going to cancel my next private appointment as it falls in the same week as a Tsan Yuk one, and I'm happy to just go with that. You should get monthly appointments at Tsan Yuk, the same as with your private doctor, it's just the scans that you don't get (which I agree are very nice, but not generally considered necessary!).
    Good luck!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    The main reasons why I want to have private appointments are

a) for the extra ultrasounds - I might as well if health insurance will pay for it!!
    b) so that my husband can come to the appointments. He works in Central and if I time the appointment right, he can come in his lunch break... for private appointments, the waiting time is generally less... and it's closer to his work too...

Does Queen Mary actually get "too full" and run out of vacancies??

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    If you turn up to Queen Mary, or any govt. hospital, in labour they can NOT turn you away....because you are considered an emergency case, and so they have to take you.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Don't worry about not getting a bed a QMH. The public hospitals don't turn you away, and when you've registered makes no difference to anything.

Last pregnancy I registered at 28 weeks, which was fine.
    This time, I'm already 29 weeks and still haven't gotten around to it.
    I'm thinking sometime around 32 weeks.
    There isn't any need to do it while you still see a private OB.
    Just do it when you are ready.

Remember, ladies who were planning to deliver privatley and then go into premature labour end up at QMH without being registered at all.