Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

nap/sleep schedule for 3 years old kids in HK

carang is offline Registered User
    my 3yr 3mth old sleeps around 7:45-8pm and wakes around 6am(how do you guys get them to sleep later? we've tried everything!) and he naps for about 2 hours, sometimes less. we've tried to cut the nap, but he just can't make it, he'll go to bed at 6pm if he doesn't nap.

rach is offline Registered User
    wow school all day at 3 - I personally think that is way too much for a three year old but I guess things are different here. I only have a 17month old who still sleeps at lunch so I can't comment on anything else but I was just a bit shocked that some kids do two schools in one day or all day is this normal?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    In Hong Kong, yes.

It's quite common for 3 yrs olds (and sometims 2 yr olds) to spend all day at school.

Some children do all day at the same school, others will do morning at one kindergarten, and afternoon at another. Usually so they can attend one class in English and another in cantonese/mandarin.

It must work for some children, as so many here do it....but I think it's too much for a 3 yr old....just my opinion. I think they also need time to play at home, play with Mum, go to the pool, or play in the park, or with friends etc.

muffkitt is offline Registered User
    Time between 2 schools:
    one has nearly 3 hours and the other has one and half hour before the board the bus for the afternoon school.

rach is offline Registered User
    I guess being at school all day is no different to going to daycare in australia or uk. However it wouldn't be my choice but each to their own - I agree bekyboo44 I think it is too much and I have read that children don't actually benefit educationally from these activities - being at home doing everyday things is just as beneficial as long as they have opportunities for social interaction exercise etc.

joannek is offline Registered User
    my daughter is 3 & 3 mths. she wakes around 7am, and sleeps between 7-8pm. sometimes she sleeps until 7.30am. she doesn't nap.

we leave home at 8.30am to be at school at 9am. she changes at around 8am (no school uniform, so she wears sth comfortable & whatever suits the weather). i bring her to school, so the helper can do work at home.

i think a small child should have free time playing at home, with mom, friends, at the park, do a bit of extracurricular, be it swimming, running, bake cake, etc. i speak cantonese to my daughter & she goes to international school, so everyone speaks english at school. she's fluent in cantonese & english. she started going to mandarin playgroup once a week when she was 18mths, and she can now understand simple mandarin.

i think we should try to work out how to help the child learn to be bi-lingual by starting at home & school. i am sorry, but i'm really against sending a 3 yr old to 2 schools a day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12