Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bottle Size

dhirsh is offline Registered User

Bottle Size

I plan on pumping after about 4 weeks and am wondering what size bottles I need for a baby that age. Should I purchase the 4oz bottle or the 9oz bottle?

adahc is offline Registered User
    I think there's a 5.5 oz bottle which I would go for. My 3.5 months is on 5.5oz/feed

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    It all depends on how often you will be pumping and how much milk you have each pump. You planning to use duo pump? Babies on breastmilk takes about 25 oz per day and it stays the same, unlike formula. Am not sure whether you are asking how much your baby would be taking, or how much milk you can pump.

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    I say just get the 9oz bottles.

carang is offline Registered User
    hey d! hope your feeling well... your day is coming up fast, isn't it?

i, too would say the 9oz bottle. i would also invest in the freezer bags. in my first 3 months i produce HUGE amounts of milk (i could still pump 4-5oz AFTER i fed my girl!) i pumped so much that i could split what i pumped into a couple of feeds! (i always pumped both sides.)

hope to see you soon!

dhirsh is offline Registered User
    It is coming up really soon. I am 38 weeks now. But Carang, let me ask you. If you used the 9oz bottle, was your baby able to finish all the milk in one feeding? If not, can you put the bottle with the rest of the milk in the fridge for the next feeding? By the way, I have Maui's bag all packed. It was ready before my own bag.

AndreaY, I was asking more how much the baby should feed so that it is not under or overfed. Have not even thought of what I can pump, that's a good point. I don't have the duo pump, just the single one.

carang is offline Registered User
    there's no way a newborn can finish 9oz. when i pumped into a bottle, i would see how much i pumped and then i would split it into freezer bags. that way, you only heat up what you/baby need and you don't "waste" the milk.

no, you don't refrigerate it and reheat it.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    ok, got it, the amount your baby will take. I pumped for both my daughters very early on and on average they took around 25oz a day. So the amount your baby will take will depend on how often she feeds. If she takes 6 feeds a day (when they are younger), then she will be taking just over 4 oz each feed. The maths works the same way when your baby needs to feed less often, the more she will take each feed. My youngest is now just over 6 months and she is still on around 25 oz EBM a day without formula supplement (including the EBM used to make baby rice). Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast