Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

travelling with a baby

misizlee is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your postings here. I'm going to be flying alone with my one month old London-HK in the Autumn. I've been a bit nervous about it, too. Glad to hear all the advice of what to bring and that you've done it and survived it!!

Carang, your story fills me with confidence that I can do it! Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    a one month old is....child's play! you'll do great!

one thing i did do was i paid for a seat for each of us. i did NOT want a bassinet. those armrests don't raise up.

i was very glad to have the extra seat/space.
    i wouldn't have been able to relax as much as i did without the space. also, i wouldn't have been able to hold the little one for so long.

good luck and remember the most important bit....

HAVE FUN!

misizlee is offline Registered User
    hehee! I sure will!

babyphat is offline Registered User
    Hello,

Thank you so much for all your fantastic advice. We have another mth left before our trip. I am worried but looking forward to it too.

Thankfully our flight is around 6pm, so hopefully we can feed him & he'll go to sleep.

Jeanmom - thanks for the advice about US security. My main concern is bringing solids onto the flight. will check with the airline.

Good luck to all the mummys, who will be flying with your little ones

capital is offline Banned
    a baby is easy, a toddler, you just endure it.

For a baby I woould try to get a bassinette, try to get a night flight, BF during takeoff and landing and bring a blanket if your shy to BF in close contact with strangers and tp use to cover the bassinette. You do have to remove baby if there is turbulence though. bring a couple of extra outfits for baby AND you. (see below)

Toddlers are hard. I would bring small new toys, skip anything messy like markers. I brought water pens and books instead as they are mess proof other than being wet. candy or snacks they normally don't get to have, lots of them. Walk the aisle's lots, get a night flight so they hopefully, sleep more, forget about trying to maintain any sort of normal nap/sleep routine and just go with the flow. Bring a lovely as when tired and grumpy, that is the owrst time.
    The last trip we took to HK was the worst flight ever. After taking off, as sson as the seatbelt sign was off the littlest one threw up on me and the floor under my feet and himself, I had not brough any cloths for myself and only one set of clothes for each child as the have never ever thown up on a plan and we have flown lots. Keep in mind this was a 14 hour flight and we had already sat on the plane for 2 hours pior to takeoff. He then vomited every 10-15 minutes for 2 hours straight until he finally fell asleep, then vomited another 2 or 3 times for the remainder of the trip.After I cleaned him up the first time and walked to my seat he started to vomit and I had to run to the area by the emergency door to keep him from thowing up on someone's head! I went through all the clothing I brough for him and his brother!
    Prior to the flight we had a 5 hour layover from out first flight and we had origainlly set out the day before but our first flight was late due to snow and missed the flight to HK. YOu just never know when your child is going to get a stomach bug, and he had been 100% fine prior to him voniting. I had to sit in vomit soaked clothes the entire flight. I am sure our neighbors were not happy! What a smell! People kepp offering us gravol, but we already had it,he just couldn't keep it down. Thank God I was still BF, it was the only way to comfort him. It was the worst flight ever and all you can do is endure and watch the hours slowly tick by.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123