Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

travelling with a baby

babyphat is offline Registered User

travelling with a baby

Hi,

We are planning to take our 5mths old baby to the US, at the end of June.

We have a few concerns; inlcuding how to make him feel most comfortable, as it's a very long flight. We're also worried about discomfort during take-off and landing.

Does anyone have any tips?

thanks

carang is offline Registered User

as with the other posts regarding taking a baby on a long flight...

if you can make the baby suck during take-off and landing, that will help with the changes in air pressure.

a 5 month will probably sleep a fair bit, so that will be easier for you. but see if you can take a night flight so that the baby will sleep even more.

good luck!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Travelling with a five month old should be fine....it's when they can walk and are too big to fit in the bassinet that flying causes problems.

Something to suck on take-off/landing is a must...dummy, bottle, breast!

Request a bassinet before you fly...it might be a good idea to call the airline before you fly to book one.

Make sure you have lots of liquid for baby.

Spare clothes for you and baby.

Night flight definetly best.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

When my son was 5mths, we took at 15hr flight to Toronto. You can read about our experience here :)

http://milkmonsterlaughs.blogspot.co...-great_08.html

(MM= milkmonster)

# Pack 2 extra sets of clothes, bibs, socks, etc. – more if your MM is a super pooper
    # Layer clothing as the temperature can fluctuate (hot and stuffy while taxiing and freezing when flying)
    # Bring a blanket to line the bassinet before you put your MM in there, I bring the flat sheet that comes along with the cot set because it’s light but big so it’s more functional. I don’t think they clean the bassinet because flying back to HK from Toronto, it looked like it had been puked on If your MM is OK being on his or her tummy then I would recommend you do that during the flight as the people walking back-and-forth, carts, etc. kept startling our MM. I also bring a blanket to cover MM.
    # For MMs under 6mths I think its ok not to bring toys on the plane, for all the trips we’ve been on I have always brought toys but never used them. I do recommend bringing a pacifier and a few back ups (just in case they fall on the floor – the water in the washroom is not safe for consumption) to settle MM because traveling can be a stressful experience. For those parents opting not to use a pacifier, we only ever offer our MM the pacifier when we’re traveling and do not use it on a regular basis. It is very helpful when you’re lining up, the fasten-seat belt sign is on, you’re in-line for the washroom, or you just need to stall a few extra minutes.
    # Plastic bag for used bottles and one for soiled clothes

Happy travels!!

carang is offline Registered User

also an extra set of clothes (at least an extra shirt) for yourself, in case your baby pukes/poops/pees on you!

mosmom is offline Registered User

i also flew long-distance with my 5-month-old - alone. i was so nervous before the trip but she slept and slept and slept (it was a night flight) :yeah2 don't worry, you and your little one will be fine!

milb is offline Registered User

Don't worry about the flight. Flying with a 5-month old is much easier than you thought. I flew to LA with my then-7-month old girl that had no problem at all. She slept a total of 8 hours out of a 13-hour flight. Just make sure she sucks on something during takeoff/landing. Bring her own blanket is a good idea.

babyphat is offline Registered User

Thank you so much...fingers crossed our experience will be as good as the ones you have all had.

I'll definitely packing carefully, and i'm glad to say we don't have a problem using the pacifier for the take-off and landing!!!

MM, your blog was very useful and i love the picture!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast