Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

14 month old refused bottle and back on breastmilk

AnitaC is offline Banned
    Sham Tseng, N.T., Hong Kong

14 month old refused bottle and back on breastmilk

My son is almost 14 months old. He was breastfed until he was a year old. Since then he is on cows milk three times a day drinking 6 onces each time, and I still breastfeed him once or twice when he wakes up at night.

He is never a good eater. He used to eat lots of soft rice until he was 10 months old. And then he decided not to be fed by me, and since then he is only taking 1 to 2 tablespoon of solid by himself twice a day. I wasn't worried as he was drinking milk quite ok.

But since the beginning of this week. Whenever he sees the bottle, he shuts his mouth tight and pushes the bottle away. He however is still interested in my breast. I can't keep up his need as I hardly have much since I stopped breastfeeding in the day 2 months ago. And this is not possible when I am at work in the day.

Has any of you had similar experience? Is ok that a 14 month old is only 4 or 5 onces of milk a day and 2 to 4 tablespoon of solid food?

I don't know how much he weighs now. He was at 11kg at 12 months.

Worrying mum
    Last edited by AnitaC; 04-11-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Neha is offline Banned
    Mid Levels, Hong Kong
    it is definitely less for his age. 11 kgs at 12 months was fine but at 14 months he needs to be eating solid food atleast 3-4 times a day and with between 8-12 oz of milk( that can depend on each child) but has been teething recently because at 14 months they should be getting their molars and that can be quiet painful. U can check his gums, or go see your doctor

best of luck