Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby Inconsolable After Returning from Outing

fennho is offline Registered User

carang
    I was holding her up when she suddenly jus broke into cries..before dat she was all smile and cooing. If its gas, she would be hvg one of those cranky cries right? She didnt fart alot but she did poo several times today which was normal for bf babies rite? Her cries are VERY different frm her usual cranky cries...like a baby would cry if u pinch her or knock her against smtg or fallen down kindof cry..dunno if I'm makg any sense here

Tracey
    my mom's theory is that the bb MIGHT hv seen something "dirty" ie some supernatural things and got a fright or those spirits are disturbg her. Cos according to older folks beliefs, a bb under 3yrs of age can still "see" these things. Pls help if u can!

carang is offline Registered User

my girl sometimes screams inconsolably (did i spell that right?).
    i know if it's a bad tummy by lying her down and watching what she does with her body.

just a few minutes ago, she half-woke screaming. she had her legs raised in the air and was trying to "pump" them. it means she has gas. and yes, it can be more painful than a pinch. (think about when you get a stomachache)

when she was little, i'd lie her down on the bed or sofa and gently, and slowly move her legs like she was riding a bicycle. that gets the tummy going and the farts usually follow.

(sorry to be so icky with the word "fart" but it is a word that most will understand)

i also find that if my girl has a bad night with farty mornings she usually has a massive poop shortly after waking up, too. so if your girl has been fussing a lot and pooing a lot, it might be an upset tummy. (although this isn't so common for breastfed babies, it is possible that she's just gassy)

it breaks your heart to hear them in pain like that, doesn't it? i know it does mine! and there is not so much you can do for it, except try to sooth it.

good luck!

carang is offline Registered User

ps> my girl can be all smiles and laughs until the gas hits, then the screaming starts... i'm surprised you can't hear her where you live!

hmmm...unfortunately we didn't observe her when we laid her down for a super quick sponge bath (part of her bedtime routine) so we don't know if she got scrunge her legs up. But she cried louder when we put her down. But when we put her onto my bed to swaddle her, she seems to calm down abit but then cried again. She only quietened down when I put her to my breast but when we unlatch her to change her to her PJ, she cries again. Can gas be soothe by feeding? I tot it'll make it worse? It doesn't sound like a hunger cries becos 1) it started abruptly and not escalated from whimpers 2) she was just fed (cluster feeding) at about 6-ish. Her crying started at 7.40pm. She fell asleep while I nursed her, thank god the breast STILL works! We know it wasn't fatigue either cos she jus had a nap from 540pm to about 6-ish. She was alert sittg there while we ate dinner. Tats y we r so puzzled! Yes, it really broke my heart to hear her cries and I can't do anything except to nurse her. But how do I prevent it?

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

Fennho,

if you subscribe to the superstitious theory, which I finally succumbed to ( told by too many confinement ladies and elderly family friends etc). try bathing her in a pomelo bath. it worked for my son. the other thing to try is to put bacj's rescue remedy into her bath ( i was taught this one by another site user).

For gas, what I found useful for my son was to buy an indonesian oil ( like our pak fa yau), but less stronger. I would rub it between my palms to warm it, and put my hands on his lil tummy. This was it helps him fart and relive the pressure. The indonesian oil can be found in those indo shops in causeway bay, and its called " bak shu yau" or literally, white tree oil. My indonesian helper says this is also commonly used in indonesia to relieve gas for babies as well. so its like a long time home remedy like our chinese bak fa yau, but without the smell.

hope the above helps.

konradsmom
    thanks! Where do I get pomelo leaves from HK? And do we bathe her when she's cryg or jus use it to bathe her during her normal bath time? Cos at night we don't bathe her, jus sponge bath. I wan to give her a proper bath as part of her bedtime routine so she can sleeps better but my mom says it will caused her to hv rheumatism next time. Sigh!

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

You can easily buy pomelo leaves in the wet market, esp those shops that sells flowers and plants. You just need a sprig, and boil it for 10 minutes in water. leave the water to cool and bath your baby in it. You can try this if she is fretful after going out, just use it for her normal bath.

I can't explain ghow and why it works, or it may work for individual cases. but I guess its so easy its worth a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12