Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outrageous

shoni is offline Registered User

Outrageous

Ok, so this is really just a rant from me.

I decided to buy a gossip magazine last night to keep me occupied on my ferry trip home and as I was flicking through it I saw an article on J-Lo and it made me mad!

She gave birth to her twins in February, having gained nearly 4 stone in wieght. Which granted it quite a lot, but still she was on tour for most of her pregnacy so she must have stayed fit and healthy, so no real worries.

However, apparently the day (or thereabouts) she came home from the hospital she felt so awful about her body that she started on a horrendous training plan. Apparently in 5 weeks she lost 45lbs by eating no fat and training in access of 2 hours per day, leaving her 'physically exhausted'. This apparently was the 'ultimate' gift from Katie Holmes.

What I would like to know is, what about the babies? I think I am right in assuming that she can't be looking after them if she is spending so long working out and then being 'physically exhausted'. I think I am also right in assuming that there is no breast feeding..... I mean 'no fat diet'?? This is surely not healthy after just giving birth.

What made me really mad was the way the article was written, making out that she was a heronine for loosing her 'baby bump' in 5 weeks to get into a Bikini. Absolutely no thought for the two babies an their needs during their first 5 weeks in this world.

Personally I am hoping that in my first six weeks after delivering I will be able to shower, wash my hair and hopefully make it shopping once or twice (hehe). But you know what I mean.

What kind of example is she setting? And to be honest the pic I saw of her, post weight loss, she didn't look all that healthy.

Sorry for the rant, need to share and get it off my chest!!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Read the same story!!
    Now that you've got that out your system, relax and focus on your baby.
    I thought I'd be more upset than I am with extra weight - it was all worth it.

wasabibunny is offline Registered User
    I haven't read the article but honestly I think kids are like "pet" for certain celebrities like JLo. Of course she has lots and lots of help taking care of her kids and if she wanted to I am sure she could even buy fresh breastmilk for her babies. But it's a terrible example for the rest of society. Especially in the US where BF is not the norm and most moms don't even get much maternity leave (some less than HK) this kind of "reporting" goes a long way to influence the mindset of the public.

If you are interested in some interesting real life stories, check out theshapeofamother.com
    There are stories and images of real women and the way they look after birth. I have to admit I think some of them are really unhealthy with too much weight gain but overall it shows everyone that it's normal to have stretch marks and changing breasts.

wasabibunny is offline Registered User
    Oh I also wanted to add that working out intensely immediately after birth is unhealthy and CAN be very dangerous.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I totally agree with what you're saying. But weight gain with twins comes fast and most of it goes fast too. So the numbers itself don't mean much IMO. I gained 43lbs with my twins (they were 15 1/2 lbs together) and 6 weeks post partum I was 6 under, I lost 49lbs in total. I was not overweight (nor underweight, average size 8-10), didn't do any diets and definitely no time to exercise. I still have a bump ... 16 months later!?

geomum is offline Registered User
    I agree with you Shoni, it bugs me too as to why they are being portrayed as role models. Of course we don't have the same luxuries of a personal chef, expert nannies, dedicated physical trainer, dietitians, personal assistants etc etc as they do so it is easy for them to get back to life as it was. My body doesn’t (And perhaps will never) look and feel the same after I had my daughter, but that is never an issue with them. She maybe making some women feel inadequate I agree.
    Maybe for JLo breastfeeding is not a priority and making more millions is, (After all she did make lots of money just by selling her baby’s pics).
    Another thing that bothers me is that these clebs make it seems its easy breezy and totally normal to have babies after 40 years of age. Everywhere I read conceiving babies after 35 is always difficult and a risky. Another wrong message sent to millions.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Enh, it's her profession. She has to "look good" and show no signs on her body that she has given birth (must retain the body of an adolescent). Training in excess of 2 hours a day?

When I had my kids, I breastfed & rested and took walks and soaked in a hot tub - I think that it is not unreasonable for a new mother to spend up to 3 or 4 hours a day doing something OTHER than holding or feeding the babies, if she has someone nice & reliable to look after the babies (partner, granny, nanny, sister, etc.).

Louiseamanda is offline Registered User
    hello

I agree. Physiologically it takes one year to recover your body to pre-pregnancy state. When breast-feeding you can eat 500 extra calories aopprox more per day and still the weight drops off!
    It is very narcissistic and unnatural to be so obsessed with your body and not with the babies and the natural bonding process.
    However I imagine the U.S. showbizzy business culture she is surrounded with is short-sighted and she is of course pressurised to employ personal trainers etc in the name of 'health'. They don't care if its not logical, so long as she looks good in pictures. How shallow.
    Presumably she is not informed enough to tell them all where to go (or has a mother that would..)
    In this case, common sense is not prevailing -but we all know that -you are quite right. Its completed ignorant to behave like that, after giving birth.
    Best of luck ladies with your new babies and relax, its the main thing your baby needs, not a mother on hot bricks!:yeah2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top