Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Milk and Kowloon Dairy

KKKK is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Milk and Kowloon Dairy

Since arriving in HK 2 years ago I have been using the semi skimmed 2% fat milk from Kowloon dairy. Since discovering I am pregnant (7 months ago) I have made sure I have cereal and milk for breakfast and if I havn't had more calcium during the day a glass of this milk in the evening. I was very happy with this thinking I was making a good effort to get all my calcium and nutrion etc. etc.

However when I looked closely at the milk carton the other day I was surprised to find an ingredients list - surely the ingredients (or ingredient !!) in milk should be - MILK.

My milks ingredients are
    - water - fresh milk - milk solids - stabilizers (E460, E466, E170, E407, E471, E412, E470,
    E401) - vitamins A & D
    Also on closer inspection of the carton it is actually not called milk but it is called a 'milk drink' in a similar way to the 'juice drinks' we all now know are so unhealthy. It does say it is made with 'fresh milk' but surely it shouldn't be made with fresh milk it should BE fresh milk!!!

I havn't had time yet to check all the E numbers (and I do realise all E-numbers are not bad) but I am generally concerned that my efforts to be healthy may have been diminished quite significantly.

Sorry for my long winded rant but I am really disapointed and more than a little worried by this. Also I thought there are probably others on this forum doing the same as me - after all why should you need to check the ingredients of milk!!

Does anyone know more about this 'milk drink' issue and whether they are significantly poorer in nutrition???

Can anyone recommend a milk drink that consists of MILK ???

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories
    I buy UHT milk - it mostly seems to come from Australia. It just contains milk.

Have you looked at Trappist milk? I think it's all milk (the cows are in Guangdong now, I think).

Query is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    If you buy full cream milk, it will be just MILK. If you buy skim or semi-skimmed milk (or any other varieties that is not full cream milk), i think they need to add additional process to the milk and that's why they call it a milk drink. I think this applies to all brands because of the labelling requirement.

rach is offline Registered User
    shouson hill
    I think the same as Query - even when i bought aussie (pura) low fat milk it was called milk drink - I can't remember if that is the case in australia. If you want you could water down full fat fresh milk that is the same as low fat I would imagine.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    hey there....i've just got back from oz and thought it might interest you to know that my mother in law was telling me all about recent uproar in oz with respect to additives in milk. only full fat milk seems to be what it says it is - milk - but even some of the full fat milk had extra "stuff". there has been somewhat of a backlash about it in oz with everyone now searching for the few brands that are truely just milk.

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    Park Island, Hong Kong
    Interesting. I love drinking milk but I've found that the local milk tastes a little strange. But since I've found organic milk in City Super, that's the only milk that I drink. I don't even drink the aussie milk now.

eph319 is offline Registered User
    you could just buy full fat milk and add some water to it at home to make it like skimmed milk... I know it might not taste exactly the same as skimmed milk... but I do that at home and it isn't that bad.

beckveldman is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay

Pura milk

Over the last 10 years we've gone through phases of buying Kowloon Dairy and Trappist milks, but for the last 5 years (since children) have switched to Pura fresh milk.

It's imported from Australia. Ingredient list on the full fat milk (dark blue box) is "100% milk". The Slim milk (99.9% fat free, light blue box) is "Milk, concentrated skim milk". It's available in my local ParknShop (DB), not sure how available it is elsewhere. I notice it's the one that usually sells out first, so I take it lots of people agree with my choice.

And a bonus is that it actually tastes like milk, no weird aftertaste ;-) Has to be a step in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast