Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

concerns about Bisphenol A (BPA) found in baby bottles

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    By the way, if you are worried about BPA in the sterilisers, you can always just boil the bottles like the good old days :)

Bahar is offline Registered User
    Thanks! i think i will just sterilise them the good old fashioned way as its the safest! Might hold on to my avent steriliser just in case though! Will make another trip to bumps soon for the born free bottles

ania8888 is offline Registered User

BPA free baby products cheat sheet

A few months ago when I was researching this subject, I came across this useful website. I have myself resorted to old fashioned glass bottles for home use from BFree and BFree plastic ones for use on the go. Both at Bumps to Babes.

I am now also very careful with resuing plastic bottles after say Evian or other mineral water, and same applies to plastic storage containers for food, and cling wrap which touches on the food in the fridge. There has been a lot of research over the pas few years, and I am glad it finally comes to Hong Kong as poeple here mostly unaware. California seems to be ahead of the game when it comes to legislating it, despite a very strong plastics industry lobby telling us it is all safe!

http://safemama.com/2007/11/22/bpa-f...p-cheat-sheet/

dhirsh is offline Registered User
    Just to let everyone know, they've recalled a bunch of plastic bottles with BPA in Canada. This website was very helpful to me to find BPA free bottles. It seems Medela is BPA free as well.

Saira is offline Registered User
    I realised according to Z report that Bfree and Born free are not the same thing. I'm concerned about colic. The Born free bottles don't seem to have the vent mechanism like Dr. Brown/Bfree bottles (based on images on line.) Does anyone know if Born free bottles have an anti-colic mechanism? I'm debating between purchasing MAM bottles (that have a similar vent) and Born free bottles for this reason. Any input would be very helpful.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Saira - Why don't you switch your baby to the Bfree bottles? I was really pleased to find the Bfree bottles have the vent mechanism, are plastic and are BPA-free as my LO was used to drinking from Dr Brown's. My LO had no problem adjusting from Dr Brown's to Bfree. The only problem you might have is that I was at Bumps to Babes recently and saw that there were no Bfree bottles on the shelves. It might be worth giving them a call to see when they will re-stock.

Query is offline Registered User
    My daughter has been using the MAM bottles since birth (she is now 10 months old) and she loves them. I once switched to Nuk and Chu Chu bottles (with the cross teats) but she didn't like these at all so we reverted back to MAM. I'm not sure whether MAM bottles helps with colic as my daughter has alwasy been a crying baby (until 100 days from birth when it miraculously stopped for reasons we cannot fathom).
    The only problem I find with these are that you're supposed to unscrew the bottom parts and the plastic ring when washing and sterilising the bottles. When you screw them back on (both the bottom part and the teat), you have to make sure that you have screwed on properly, otherwise, it will leak milk all over your baby. This has happened to me once or twice in the beginning but once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy. They are also priced quite reaonsably, at aroudn $50 per bottle, not the outrageously $100 charged for some of the other brands.
    As they're plastic and quite light, my daughter has been holding her own bottle when drinking milk since she's eight-nine months old so we're very pleased. This would not have been possible if we were using glass bottles.

Query is offline Registered User
    Also, does anyone know which pacifiers are BPA free? I usually sterilize these as well (we use the Nuk pacifiers) and am concerned that these contain BPA and pose a health risk.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast