Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tips for transporting fresh baby food?

vrombola is offline Registered User

Tips for transporting fresh baby food?

I am often out and about with my son so sometimes need to feed him on the go. If so I feed him a bottle of organic baby food. Does anyone have suggestions of how to take my home-cooked food with me and heat it?

His food is always fresh cooked then frozen into ice cubes, and I have insulated bottle carriers with ice packs. I would prefer to feed him this than a bottle, even though it's still organic.

Portia is offline Registered User
    If my LO's lunchtime is within 2 hours of leaving the flat, what I do is to heat his lunch (also from frozen cubes) to boiling point at which point I put it into a small stainless steel thermos (as small as possible) which has also been pre-heated with boiling water. Although Thermos advises against using it for baby food due to risk of bacterial growth, I find that the food is still steaming hot after an hour or so, so I am not too concerned. However, I wouldn't use this method if it's going to be many hours before you feed the baby. The only problem is that the food is so hot that you need to pour it out into a bowl and let it cool for a while or ask for ice water if the LO is impatient.

jools is offline Registered User
    Alternatively let the cubes defrost ahead of time i.e. in the fridge over night and then heat them up when you get to where you're going. Then they will only have been reheated once.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    Any suggestions if we need to carry food (and heat it) on a 18 hour plane trip?

carang is offline Registered User
    all 7-11s have a microwave, as do circle k's we always used them... no one ever minded.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    if you're in a restaurant just ask them to heat it for you - most will happily oblige (even when frozen).

For an 18-hour plane trip I would pack lots of frozen food with ice-packs in one of those small esky/cooler bag things and check it in with your luggage. Because the hold is pretty cold I find it stays frozen until destination (but of course, you need a freezer once you arrive to put it straight into)

Portia is offline Registered User
    I've basically given up with fresh food on planes as all the planes we've been on don't have microwaves. The way they heat your food is to put the container in hot water which takes ages. I now take jars of baby food on the plane. (Try a few jars at home first so that you can find something tasty. Some of them taste pretty awful.) I did think about heating food up and putting it in a thermos, but I decided against it as it would be too long between heating it up and eating it. It would be awful to have a baby with a tummy ache on the plane!

If you do a search, there's a thread on transporting frozen baby food on planes that I remember from last year.

cwbmum is offline Registered User
    I just defrost at home and then ask wherever I am to reheat it, I tend to not have meat dishes though, only veg ones as sometimes they don't get heated up to boiling point even though you have asked for it. My daughter is now almost 11 months old and we haven't had any problems with her getting a poorly tummy or anything. I take organic jars on airplanes as these can be given at room temp.
    You can also buy the organic apple puree in a squeezy bottle now too which are great as a pudding - get these from Bumps to Babes.
    If you think back to the times when we were young what do you think our parents did? My dad can't remember and my mum passed away so I will never know.
    Good luck