Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Barrier cream okay for neck rash??

peainpod is offline Registered User

Barrier cream okay for neck rash??

My baby has developed some neck rashes (red with little bumps) around the folds of his skin. He's on the chubby side so it's probably from humidity trapped under all the folds (and from the chafing of the folds), rather than an allergic reaction to milk etc. I've used baby oil and also liquid talc on it but it doesn't seem to be clearing up. Our confinement nurse suggested using the barrier cream (diaper rash cream from Mustela) on the rash as an alternative.

I'm just wondering - is it okay to use barrier (diaper rash) creams on places other than his bum - ie. on his neck??

mel_g20 is offline Registered User

Be careful with diaper rash cream

My daughter had the same problem, and I was told to use diaper rash cream too. However I found that all this did was make it worse, so I would try it cautiously. Her neck area became red and shiny as a result, and began weeping which showed it was infected. She would scratch it and make it bleed. In the end I went to the doctor who gave me a mild hydrocautozone (sorry cant spell it), this cleared it, but it still returned regularly until she was older. Be careful with nappy rash cream - it was the worst thing I could have done.

Thanks Mel_g! I won't use it then!

Are there over-the-counter low-strength hydrocortisone creams that are safe for babies? Or do I have to go to the pediatrician for it? (If possible I would like to avoid going to the doctor's whenever possible as my baby is not sick and I don't want to run the risk of him picking up something at the doctor's!)

rebekah is offline Registered User
    hydrocortizone is still a steroid, i'd probably only use it under the advice of a physician, or at least very sparingly. unfortunately I don't know what's available OTC here, I didn't know there was ibuprofen (nurofen??) at the pharmacy counter for 6 months!

carang is offline Registered User
    you can get it at the pharmacy without problem but i, too, would use it VERY sparingly.

i would try a little diaper rash cream first, but jsut a little. try the stuff that has more zinc...my girl gets a little rash on her cheeks sometimes, and i've used it there very sparingly... but always resort to a TINY amount of cortisone (one or two applications and it's cleared up!)

nicolac is offline Registered User
    It sounds like the same kind of thing my daughter had a couple of months back. Following a pharmicist's advice I tried "Desitin Origin" from Mannings (also since seen it in Park N Shop and Welcome). It worked well for us.

Thanks for the input! I tried using a little bit of the Kiel's diaper rash cream (it had more zinc than the Mustela brand, as carang had suggested) and the rash seems better, so I'm going to try using it for now.

Btw, how long do these neck rashes persist for? Will they clear up in a week - or longer??

Thanks!!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I had the same thing with my chubby little daughter! I used Kiehls which was good, but had best results with Ecobaby nappy balm (bumps to babes and 360). Once she could hold her head up better the problem stopped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast