Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Enough Milk?

cwbmum is offline Registered User

Enough Milk?

Hi
    My daughter is now almost 11 months old, I am a little worried as she seems to have gone off breast milk. She wakes up around 6ish and has a milk feed, she then has breakfast around 7, I express around 2oz of milk to mix with her cereal.
    I try and feed her again mid morning and she pushes me away. Then I try and feed her again before her lunch at 12, she hardly has any at all. She loves to drink water though.
    She sometimes has a little feed after her nap around 2-3 ish but again sometimes doesn't want any. She then has her dinner around 5ish and after her bath at 6 I feed her again before bed at 7. Tonight she had an ok feed but other times she just doesn't want any.
    Water is available all the time for her so I know she is getting enough fluids.
    She has 3 meals a day and loves to eat solid foods.
    I breastfed my son for 16 months so feel really quite bad that my daughter is giving up so soon.
    Any suggestions?
    She has never had any formula so don't really want to give her that now.
    She is very active, almost walking and always trying to take my sons food and drinks from him. I am not worried about her development, I just wonder if she is getting enough milk.
    Thanks for your time.

carang is offline Registered User
    why don't you start her with cow's milk. i know it's technically a month or so early, but if she's had enough breastmilk and wants to get on with it, why not let her?

you've done a marvellous job so far! think of all the goodness she's already had from you!

(i miss bf too, i had to wean at 6 months for each of mine...but in the long run.... my mum can't remember how long she bf either my brother or me and we both turned out splendidly !if i do say so myself! LOL!)

She has had cows milk in some dishes I have cooked for her and she hasn't had any allergic reactions or anything. I have also used cheese too.
    She usually has a baby yog after meals too so perhaps she is getting enough dairy products.
    I don't think I will be having anymore so knowing that this is the last time to breastfeed, feels a bit sad!
    But hey, I suppose 2 full term pregnancies, 15 months breastfeeding with the first and hopefully a bit longer with the second, try to get her to have at least morning and evening feed until 12 months. It might be nice to have my body back, start exercising and start to fit back into my pre preg clothes.
    I have enjoyed every minute of feeding though, even having mastitis 3 times and feeling really ill with that - how your brain forgets.
    Thanks

carang is offline Registered User
    you've done an amazing job! congratulations! you have NOTHING to feel guilty about whatsoever!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    All babies wean in different ways and some earlier than others. Babies that like feeding for the milk tend to wean earlier than babies who like lots of comfort sucking. I’d just follow your daughter’s lead (not really much other option). Usually babies like to keep one or two feeds a day even when they are taking most of their calories form other foods. Often these feeds are falling to sleep feeds at nap time or bed time or waking up feeds after a sleep.

If you are happy to continue breastfeeding please don’t think that just one or two feeds a day isn’t worthwhile. As long as your daughter is breastfeeding she will be receiving the benefits of being a breastfed baby.

Remember that breastfeeding performs two functions, it gives nutrition and it give an immune boost. Although the nutrition element is reducing as your daughter drinks less this isn’t happening with the immunities. These concentrate in the milk as the amount of milk drunk is reduced – so a similar amount of antibodies are passed on even though the volume of milk is much less.

If however, you feel that the time to wean is here. Usually weaning a baby who enjoys feeding for the milk is quite easy. A little distraction and a little more food usually do the trick. The “don’t offer – don’t refuse” strategy works well.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Thanks everybody - she seems to enjoy the morning and night feeds still. Up til Monday I was expressing around 2oz of milk in the mornings to give with her cereal, I can't express hardly any now, only around 1oz or so.
    Think I will try cows milk for her cereal soon.
    Thanks again for all your advice.