Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Giving Birth at PMH

tet
    tet is offline Registered User

Giving Birth at PMH

Hello. Can anyone give feedback about PMH with regards to the following?
    -Toilet: Do they have toilet per area or is it just one toilet for the whole OB ward? Any feedback on cleanliness?
    -Food
    -Do they give you anesthesia/epidural in case of normal delivery?
    -What happens if your baby is still in breech position (but no cord coiling around neck), can you still insist on vaginal birth?
    -CS stitches. Read some horror stories about QMH stitches, any feedback on PMH?

Thank you so much. I am nearing my due date and am terrified how we'll cope without family here (only hubby is with me).

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    I didn't go to PMH, but from the perspective of the public system in general:

- Food will be chinese and mass produced (obviously) and I have never spoken to anyone who thought it was edible! Bring some snacks and fruit I guess, and have your husband/partner/friend bring in some more nutritious food when they visit.

- Epidurals are usually available but you have to actually ask for it and not even always then will you get one. It depends if the anaesthetist is free at that point.

- Breech, I am pretty sure no public hospital here would go through with a breech birth. It seems like a common reason for C-section.

Sorry if I got any of that wrong, I'm sure someone will quickly correct me if so.

Try not to be too anxious, though I know it is all very daunting! If you can afford it, consider getting a midwife from Annerley (www.annerley.com.hk) to visit you after the birth at home. They are wonderfully reassuring and helpful.

Have you been to antenatal classes? A lot of these sorts of questions you can ask the nurse there. All the best!

tet
    tet is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for your inputs Hkaussie, very much appreciated. I have been to antenatal class very early in my pregnancy and was clueless about questions to ask that time. I will try to contact Annerley and see if I could afford it. Thanks again.