Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby Routine vs Outings

fennho is offline Registered User

Baby Routine vs Outings

hi there

i've been trying to implement the EASY routine by the Baby Whisperer. But am finding it hard to balance it with the introduction of outings to my gal (3.5months). I know i shud take her out and slowly introduce the outside world to her, but

1) in HK, being mindful of the pollution, i always restrict her outings to malls, which i'm worried is not good for her
    2) she doesnt sleep long in the stroller, so outings = making her routine go haywire, she cant get enough sleep, thus making her even crankier. :(

Any advise?

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User

hi fennho,

I realised that you live around Kowloon Station, I need there's a free shuttle from TST to Element but I'm not sure if they arranged the return ride yet. You could visit the Kowloon Park with your gal (she could start playing in the playground when she's older). There's lots to see i.e. birds and chairs to sit when you're tired. We usually manage to spend at least an hour there each time.

And if you don't mind traveling, the Lai Chi Kok garden located in Mei Foo Sun Chuen is huge and it's worth going on a regular basis.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

None of my babies were happy in the pushchair until they were older (around 12 to 18 months). Have you tired using a sling instead? I found that the babies would sleep much better in a sling and were happier when they were awake too. Also, because they are high up and not at exhaust level I didn’t have to worry about the pollution from cars as much.

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Our LO loved to sleep in the sling. I think because he was close to mommy and in a tight environment. Not quite swaddled, but closer than being in a stroller. Still using the sling as he approaches 2 years, 92 cm and 13 kg but not as often because he can walk.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

fenho , I have the same problem with bub. esp now he is on solids and snacking on fruit between meals, there is only a very small window in between his activities that could allow for outings. Also same problem as you mentioned with the stroller - he catnaps but its not a proper nap, so usually he comes home a bit crankier, and with an upset routine.

I now limit his outings to usually 1 hour - its not much fun for the adults but it seems to be easier on him.

but would love to hear from others as well.

arismom is offline Registered User

hi fenho,

i live in kowloon west as well and know there is a really nice park right above PIPS that my little one goes to. that might be a good option for you to take her to. also if that gets too crowded (between 4 -6 all the little ones of our neighborhood are there it seems like) there is a small grassy patch across the park where we go to as well - nice place to sit and chill. might be good for your baby too. as the weather warming up, just walking around near pips outside elements where there are waterfalls is a good place to take her...my little one still loves the open space in this area to just run about.

good luck.

adahc is offline Registered User

Again, great discussion.
    What I do is if I plan to got out in the afternoon, I'l try as much as I can can with all the technique I can think of i.e white noise etc. to him to sleep asmuch as possible, preferably 3-4 hours in the late morning -1.30/2pm. Then use the baby carrier to take him out. This way ebven if he manges a cat nap, he still get enough daynap in totall and appears to be in a ok mood. I would not go too strick on day nap but do set the time roughly for him to sleep if possible everyday.

fennho is offline Registered User
    Arismom
    wat is PIPS? And whereabout is that? Would love to bring my gal out for some fresh air (altho that is near impossible in HK)

adahc
    HOW did u get baby to sleep for 3-4hours nap in the afternoon? I am guilty of using props, i have to swing baby to sleep! At night i have to nurse her.

fairy godmother
    I think they discontinued the shuttle once Elements is up rite? Now we have to take a mini bus or a cab if we wan to go TST. Whereabout is Kowloon Park?

Konradsmom
    Yes, i have seem to have the same problem, VERY small window of time to bring baby out...but i dont wan baby to be a recluse!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast