Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Getting around with toddler and newborn in Clearwater Bay

wanfamily is offline Registered User

Getting around with toddler and newborn in Clearwater Bay

Hi all,
    I'll be moving to Hongkong at the end of June with a 2 1/2 year old and a 2 month baby (hopefully - due next week!). We'll be staying in Tai Po for a few weeks while we look for a place in Clearwater Bay as my husband will be studying at HKUST. I'm a bit worried about getting around with the 2 of them - especially as I really don't like getting taxis without the kids being in safety seats. At the moment, I'm thinking of dumping my old baby stroller and getting one with an inbuilt car seat that can be used without a base, then attaching one of those 'boogie board' things on the back for the toddler. I do have a Safety First toddler travel seat for the toddler, but it can be a bit of a pain to strap in at times. Any recommendations on strollers with car seats that are good for taxis, easy to attach toddler saftey belts and where to get them in Hongkong would be greatly appreciated!

MaiYe is offline Banned

wanna meet up at Po Lam?

Hi, i've 1 daugher who's born on march 3, 08. pls email me if you are interested to meet up.

<[email protected]>

m2cw2mhk is offline Registered User
    WanChai, HK
    Hi, quite frankly we all just have to get used to being in a taxi without a car seat. I don't know the Clearwater Bay area but we get around really well on buses and the MTR, and some buses have seat belts now. Hong Kong is not particularly stroller friendly - lots of stairs - so I try to avoid the stroller whenever I can - my almost 3 year old just walks a lot and I highly recommend an Ergo, Bjorn, or other carrier for your little one. good luck!

xcultural mummy is offline Registered User
    London/Hong Kong

Buggy board, Ergo carrier (forget Babybjorn!), possibly Quinny/Bugaboo bee

Hello there,

I know what you mean by not having confidence in HK taxis in terms of child protection! When my little one was smaller I used to put him in a sling (Ergo) first before I get in, but your 2.5 yr old may be getting too big for you to be comfortable.

You won't be very popular with HK taxi drivers for strapping in the car seat (which is likely to be a Maxi Cosi age 0-1), but your children come first of course. I think yes, for the first year or so the back facing car seat clip-onable to the chassis can be the way to go if you are willing to get a different buggy. Bear in mind after 1 year your second one will be too long for the car seat and for general pushing around they grow out of the car seat as a stroller seat even earlier.

If I were you, I'd get one of these buggies and decide to clip on the car seat in the first 3-4 months, then beyond that, only use the car seat on the chassis when you have a long taxi ride. Then between 4 months and a year you'll still have the option of a clip-on car seat, but most of the time your number 2 will be comfortably seated in a proper pram seat. Otherwise on short cab rides I'd just put baby 2 in a baby carrier and strap both of you in (not scientific but more comfort for number 2 in pram when you're not in taxi), and use the Safety first on your older one all of the time.

I'm going to be in the same predicment too...number 1 and 2 are going to be let me know how you get on!
    Check out my
    for information and my thoughts on real nappies, baby carriers, breastfeeding, baby-led weaning and much more!