Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Breastmilk, Early Solids, Formula.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear adahc,

As long as your baby is gaining weight and growing healthily then it is fine that he decides how much he wants to eat.

I would be careful with this if you are giving the milk in a bottle as babies usually drink more than they want from a bottle. I often think of breastfeeding like eating dinner with my husband – one plateful is enough. And bottle feeding like going out to a buffet. Because the food is all around I end up having two or three platefuls – and more than I need. The milk in the bottle keeps coming even after the baby has slowed his sucking down to get less milk – so he keeps drinking – this doesn’t happen at the breast.

There are a number of signs that a baby is ready to start solids. You might like to look at
    When should my baby start solids?
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html
    The best way to know when your son is ready is when he can sit up by himself. It aids the digestion if the baby’s body is straight.

Remember that the best food your baby will ever get in the whole of his life is your milk. Don’t feel pressure to start changing this for other inferior foods. The longer your baby has just breast milk the better his health will be. It is actually better for a baby to put weight on slowly (within reason) and continue to be exclusively breastfed than to gain weight quickly and not be.

Breast milk does two jobs: it gives nutrition and it also gives a boost to the baby’s immune system. This boost is at its most effective while the baby is being exclusively breastfed – so don’t feel pressure to start solids (or formula which is considered another solid even though it is liquid) too early.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

adahc is offline Registered User
    Thank you. As a new mum I need support like this from time to time.
    I might attend the meeting this Wednesday with LLI. However I'm a bit nervous as it is during his nap time and in the afternoon on that day I have another appointment. I'm not sure how it goes but my son needs his sleep at some point.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    LLL gatherings are social events for the mothers – not necessarily for the babies. It is fine for your baby to sleep in his pushchair or in a sling/carrier attached to you during the meeting. We often have sleeping babies at our gatherings.
    Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12