Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Baby Carriers - Beco or Ergo??

fennho is offline Registered User

Baby Carriers - Beco or Ergo??

hi mommies
    I have been using the Bjorn carrier but I found that
    1) it can only carry up to 10kg (my gal is already almost 8kg!!)
    2) baby seems to be uncomfortable "dangling" there

Have did some research and found 2 - Beco & Ergo, both claims to carry up to 4-5yrs old and baby is seated inside carrier as oppose to dangling inside the Bjorn carrier.

Anyone have tried using either one and hv feedbacks to share? I am looking for one that I can snap bb on easily instead of fumbling with so many hooks. Thanks!!

mrstee is offline Registered User

Hi fennho - We have the Baby Bjorn Active Carrier and I found it to be too heavy even after I adjusted it so that it's tighter around the waist and back. It still pulled down on the shoulders and I just thought it was too hot and sweaty. I think it works great for my husband who is obviously much taller and bigger than I am. I actually prefer to use a baby sling. I can put her in many more positions and it's lightweight and breathable. It's also doesn't put all the weight and pressure between her legs and depending on how I have her positioned, she can look out and also look up at me when I'm talking to her. You can use the baby sling in the same way that you use the Ergo, with the legs dangling. And slings usually carry up to 3 year old children...I think the weight limit is 15 kgs? Not that I would recommend you carry your child when she's that heavy..but some kids still want to be held and snuggled so it would take the weight off your arms and also straighten out your back.

I thought about getting the Ergo but I can pretty much do the same thing with the slings without all the fuss of the Ergo. But then again, using a sling takes practice because shifting the fabric around isn't easy in the beginning. Once you get the hang of it though, there's noting easier!

wenyihsu is offline Registered User

Hi fennho, I use the Ergo and absolutely LOVE it. We use to use the Baby Bjorn until it got too uncomfortable (when baby weighed 8 kg). I really does a great job in distributing the weight of your baby evenly between your shoulders and waist. I actually find that it's easier to put baby in when we are out and about. I've never had any problem getting baby use to sitting face in but I have heard from a friend who's baby was so use to facing out on the Bjourn that she hated it the first couple of times. The great thing is that you can use it in 3 different positions. My husband prefers carrying baby on his side or on back.

hkaussie is offline Registered User

We have an Ergo too, and they are very hard to beat. It feels like you're not carrying anything at all! Mrstee mentioned a sling, if you're talking about a one-shoulder ring sling, they are very useful for Hong Kong because they're light and stuff down into a bag and can be whipped out before getting on/off the bus etc.

However, a sling is not nearly as comfortable for carrying for a long time, especially if you have a heavy baby. It only bears the weight on one shoulder, while the ergo or other similar pack carriers have the weight on both.

I've never seen a Beco but just looked at their website. They look very stylish, more so than the Ergo! I'd say they have a similar function, so maybe you can try them out with someone who has one? An advantage of the Ergo is you can buy it through www.doubibou.com which is close by in macau. They have other carriers too but not sure about beco's.

Something else good with the Ergo is that since it's plain, my husband will happily wear it too. If I got a fancy design on a beco or something similar, he wouldn't wear it!

I just noticed you say that you don't want so many clips and something easy to use after the Bjorn. I must say that the Ergo and any other soft carrier like that, you do have to practise a bit to get it right by yourself. Mainly I find the top strap is a bit hard to put on on your own. But once you are used to it, it is very easy.

Voodoo is offline Registered User

Absolutely Ergo. I was the bjorn user as well and it caused me serious shoulders pain/ stiffed back after my LO's weight gone up to 8kgs (no way to 10kgs..). Even worse, crooked back from time to time.. Ergo indeed spread the load evenly. I find the front carry position does the best as it release the load to your hip bone which makes your life much easier. It has much longer extension straps which allows your husband to share your load too!! but the dark side of it is, the baby won't facing outwards and always need to turn around her head!

rebekah is offline Registered User

We got our ergo at Bumps to babes in ap lei chau. I'm still pregnant, so i have no idea how good it is, but everyone in several online communities ranked it tops.

hkaussie is offline Registered User

Yes I can still carry my 2.5 year old in the backcarry position, he's 16kg! Though I have to say, I don't enjoy doing that for a long time. It's more comfortable than just holding him though.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Anyone know where you can buy a sling in HK?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast