Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice on donor insemination

Babygap is offline Registered User

Advice on donor insemination

My husband and I have just discovered we are unable to conceive because he is infertile. We are looking at various options and would like advice on donor insemination, we're keen to perhaps talk to a counsellor/psychologist who is experienced in these matters to help us make an informed decision about this.

We understand the regulations and constraints in Hong Kong regarding donor sperm (esp. seeing as we are a caucasian couple), but we are more interested in learning about the emotional implications both long and short term.

If anyone has any advice on this we'd love to hear about it, particularly recommendations on who we can talk to.

Thanks

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    Just a thought. Have you considered adoption?

Yes we have, and obviously that's our other option we need to explore. We want to talk to someone who has can help us make the right decision for us. Donor insemination is the option that we know least about I guess...

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    Sorry Babygap,

I wouldn't be able to help you with that. We're going through the process of adoption now but not for the same reason as yours. With donor insemination, I don't really know much about it. But I do recall reading an article once that a man used his brother's sperm the insemination as they wanted the child to be as biological close to the father as possible. That could be an option for you if your husband has a brother. Other than that, I know close to nothing about donor insemination.

Thanks anyway, best of luck with your adoption, who knows maybe we'll end up going down that road, we've just started to think about alternatives now...

becs is offline Registered User
    it's a difficult process, with the effort you are putting in, whatever decision you make it's obvious you want to make the rights choices and not be rash - your child whether biological or adoptive will have good parents. My friends also went through infertility, something wrong with the shape of the sperm - only 2% were okay, they made the decision in the end to choose viable sperm and were sucessful with IVF.

Thank you - yes, currently feels like an impossible decision to make, guess it will take some time to get comfortable with either option. I certainly don't want to make the decision lightly!