Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Newbie preggers advice please

Enchanted is offline Registered User
    Hi all!

Thanks so much for all the information, a great help now I have somewhere to start.

Since I dont have a GP I think I will start with the TKO clinic.

Seems like it is quite common to go public for most prenatal and the delivery and private for the 10/12 week scan. This might be a good compromise.

(7's baby I sent you a PM)

7'sbaby is offline Registered User
    Thank you for messages and info-i guess waiting for the scan is better, especially as we want to pay for a private one to get a picture.
    I will give the centre in TKO a call and make an appointment and see what they say.
    Do they only confirm how pregnant you are when you get the scan at 10 - 12 weeks then?

cwbmum is offline Registered User
    Oh just a quick one - when you have a scan in the public hospital they don't usually give you print outs, if you get a nice dr then they will give you a print out as long as you hide it away before leaving the room.
    Another idea is to take a small bottle and do the urine sample before you go as you only have to do this when you get there and queue up first to take your urine sample and then queue up for weighing etc.
    I think quite a few people opt to go semi-private at the Prince of Wales, not sure how much it is though.
    Enjoy being pregnant.

mocha is offline Registered User
    down syndrom screening .. $1300 at PWH.
    really full, make a booking asap

http://www.fetalmedicine.hk/tr/oscardetails.asp

Enchanted is offline Registered User
    Hi there,

I went and got my "official" letter from a doctor, thinking the next step was the TKO clinic (thanks CWB mum) however my doctor told me otherwise and that I was to go straight and register with the hospital.

Ok, no problem. I rang the hospital and several people later i was told to travel to PWH(Shatin) to register in person and that I may or may not qualify for PWH due to my location.

It seems like a great waste of time to travel so far to simply register with the chance I may be turned away.

Feeling somewhat exasperated, I rang 2 places to book private scans however they were $1300 + $800 consultation fee. $1000 - 1200 I was expecting 1800 seems somewhat high.

Can anyone make any suggestions for my next move, should I just forget what my doctor said and go straight to TKO mother & baby clinic.

I am now 8 weeks. Thanks so much.

carang is offline Registered User
    i think that you need to register with the hospital first, then they will refer you to the clinic.

this is hk and bureaucracy rules...they won't bend the rules for you. there is no rush for an ultrasound. most hospitals only do one around 12 weeks or so anyway.

but i would get a move on and book the appt.

i would call pamela youde as well, although on hk island, it might be closer to you than PWH.

good luck!

mazamarie is offline Registered User
    I have registered with Prince of Wales ( due Oct) and live in Clearwater Bay.

The doctor mentioned when I was there for my check up that United Cristian was closer but didn't seem too worried about it. I just said it wasn't that far. They have referred me to The Tseung Kwan O clinic for the next check ups and booked me in to be induced at the hospital just incase I go over due, so no problems with going there.

When I first registered at the hospital I didn't actually see a doctor it is just to get you name and details in the system. You wait for a few minutes then they call your name and give you back all the documents you handed over as well as the first available appointment - you don't really get an option when this will be. The appointment was actually 7 weeks later so don't leave it too late before you register.

Good luck.

Pauline33 is offline Registered User
    If you can read chinese, you may take a look at this site sometime, it is a HK baby forum, should give you some information about HK system and what other HK people talk about this: www.baby-together.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12