Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie preggers advice please

Enchanted is offline Registered User

Newbie preggers advice please

Quietly excited as I/we have had a positive pregnancy test (actually 2 tests just to be sure.)

I have never seen a doctor here in HK, am based in Sai Kung and my gut reaction is that we will go through the public system.

Can someone advise me what I need to do next? Sorry to sound so lame but for some reason I am a little nervous about being pregnant here in HK and how the system works.

I am only approx 4-5 weeks, (really early I know.) Do I need to find a doctor to forward me to Prince of Wales.

At what point should I go and see a doctor? Can anyone recommend someone in Sai Kung or near? I have no morning sickness just a noticeable metal taste in my mouth.

Until we are safely past 12 weeks I don't want to ask advice of those I know that have had kids here.

Thanks so much for any feedback

rachrobin is offline Registered User

What to do now....

Hi Enchanted,

Congratulations!!!!

I am currently 6 months along and was in pretty much the same situation as you when it happenned.

Firstly, you need to get written confirmation of the pregnancy from a GP. They will do another urine test and give you the official thumbs up. You also need to start taking prenatal vitamins straight away - you don't need a prescription, but my doctor gave me some at this first appointment. You can buy these types of vitamins at Mannings/Watsons or Bumps to Babes.

Next, you need to register at the hospital. To do this, you just call them and give them your confirmed dates and ID number. They will schedule an appointment for registration (I think they start at about 10 weeks).

Personally, I was still in the process of getting my ID card, so at the start I saw a private doctor for an ultrasound at 11 weeks. I started going to the public hospital at 18 weeks. A lot of mums to be that I have met seem to have a combination of private and public care. If you choose to see a private doctor, they will simply give you their notes/test results to to pass on to the hospital system.

You should expect to have at least 2 scans, one at 10-12 weeks and one around 20 weeks. The first scan confirms the age of the baby by checking it's size - you also get to count fingers, toes and hear the heart beat. The second scan is done in conjunction with a blood test to check for Down Syndrome (commonly called an OSCAR test). At this second scan, they also check all the major organs and if the baby is in the correct position they can tell you the sex too.

Once you have registered at the hospital, they will give you all the information you need about antenatal care, classes, appointments etc.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with Sai Kung, so I can't offer you any advice specific to this area.

Good luck with everything!

Hi Rachrobin

Congrats on your little person (to be).

And thanks for the information, its a great help, I will book myself into a Doctor for later this week.

Happy pregnancy

cwbmum is offline Registered User
    Hi
    I went to Tseung Kwan O mother and baby clinic when I found out I was pregnant, they then asked if I wanted to go to Prince of Wales or United Christian, United Christian was nearer to I went there.
    I had an ultrasound done when I was 7 weeks to see the heart beat and then I went to a private dr at 12 weeks and then back to United Christian from there on - everything went well, all the doctors spoke great English and after giving birth I came home the next morning.
    Good luck with your bump.

Hi cwbmum, did you book for TQO baby clinic (is this attached to the hospital)?

May I ask what the cost and the time involved was? Did they do a scan at your first visit, was this an option?

I very much like the idea of being home the next morning :-)
    Thanks so much

7'sbaby is offline Registered User

me too

Hi enchanted
    I too just found out and am living here in Sai KUng. I am about 7 weeks- at least i think so!
    I went to the dr to get my referell letter but haven't done anything since.
    I think I will go PW to register on Wed and so will let you now what it entailed- I rang them and they said it had to be in person with proof of address, ID Card and referrell letter from Dr.
    If you want to chat I would be very happy as i am a bit lost too.
    Might treat myself to a scan at the prenatal clinic on Friday as I would love a scan to show my parents when we tell them, but I will ring tomorrow to see if they think it is too early to get anything- all i need is to see the heart beat to know this is all really happening!
    When do you think you are due?
    :yeah2

carang is offline Registered User
    if you have a HKID card, cost is minimal... most visits are free, tests around $60 or so...

ps> the second test at 20 weeks is NOT to check for down syndrom... it is a complete check of all the various parts of the anatomy and measurements. the down syndrome test is done around 10-14 weeks. you pay extra for this if you are not over 35. it's about $1000 or so.

PPS> usually at 7 weeks you won't see much in a scan. perhaps a sac and if you are REALLY lucky a heartbeat. best to wait a little while longer in order to see the actual fetus. (i had MANY scans over 2 pregnancies... i think it was something like 16 scans or so... i had VERY complicated pregnancies...). also, you can't hear the heartbeat through a doppler until around 11-12 weeks or so.

cwbmum is offline Registered User
    Hi
    The Tseung Kwan O, Po Ning Road, MCHC is open every Mon & Fri 9am - 12:30, Tues, Wed and Thur 2pm - 5pm and Saturday of 2nd and 4th week 9am - 11:30am.
    Call 27041747 to make an appointment, make sure you tell them its a new case, first time to visit.
    My first scan at 7 weeks was because I passed out and ended up in Tseung Kwan O, they did a pregnancy test to make sure I was pregnant and then sent me up to the Gyno section of TKO to have a check, they doctor did an internal scan and showed me this little peanut sized thing with a heartbeat, very strange and nice to see the heartbeat. I then registered with MCHC and had another scan at 12 weeks at the United Christian hospital.
    I didn't have to pay anything for any antenatal checks. I did have the test for Downs Syndrome and that cost $900. The whole cost for the delivery and stay for one night was $250, I remember my husband saying it cost more in parking!
    I don't think I will be having anymore but if I did I would definitely go back to MCHC and the United Christian Hospital. The only thing is you have to wait a while sometimes so it's better to take a friend or a good book.
    Hope this info helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast