Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Introducing formula?

Pixa78 is offline Registered User

Introducing formula?

Hi folks,
    My daughter just turned 6 mths. She has been bf exclusively for 6 mths. i started her on one bottle feed of 3oz of formula a week back... she took it with some resistance. Any thoughts on whether its a good idea to continue that taste of formula once a day or leave formula all together till one year.

My concern stems from the fact that many kids don't take formula at one year when they are weaned off... Also feeding formula from glass or cup later is much more cumbersome than with a bottle

So is it a good idea to continue one bottle feed of formula or chuck it and see what happens after a year.

carang is offline Registered User

at one year you can change to real milk rather than formula.

with both of mine, the change to cow's milk was more difficult than to formula (i think the formula is quite sweet), so why not just go from breastmilk to cow's milk? save yourself that other step.

on the other hand, if she is now happily taking formula and you are ok with that, then why not continue? the convenience of formula (ie) others can feed her... can be great! you can share the feeding duties with someone else so you can get a few hours extra sleep or head to the gym or whatever you like...

it's really up to you....

carang is offline Registered User

as far as i'm aware, the general population in north america change to cow's milk at 1 year of age. as for nutrients, you child after 1 year of age should be getting those from his/her food not the milk.