Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Discovery Bay info

mommyof3 is offline Registered User

Discovery Bay info

I am hoping to find more information about delivering babies in the area as we are new to Discovery Bay, but I am already 7 months pregnant. I was hoping to deliver at a public hospital to save $$, but am open to opinions and comments from anyone. I have heard mention of QMH, but don't have any idea if this is the closest/best hospital for DB residents... Any info you might throw my way would be much appreciated!

rach is offline Registered User

Hi Mommyof3

Congrats - i am fairly new to DB as well so yet to experience trying to get to the hospital when I go into labour (next few weeks) but I have heard a range of stories. My doc advised either ambulance or ferry if there is one in the next 10mins or so but I imagine being your 3rd you might be quick so call the ambulance. However my doc warned that you need to be veryspecific about which hospital you want to go to or they will take you to the nearest one. I am delivering at matilda but I have met loads of mums out here who deliver at qmh so i'm sure they will be able to help - I think that would be the pick of public hospitals as is the biggest I think and they have all the facilities for emergencies might not be fancy but you are in the safest of hands so I would have no qualms about delivering there - just do your homework about what to expect. Not sure how to register but if you do a search on queen mary on this forum i'm sure you will find out.

I'm a bit nervous about going into labour here - who knows how quickly it goes but I guess you don't hear that many people having babies on the way to the hospital.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Hi- I live in DB, and was in DB when went into labour with my first child...I had plenty of time to get ferry to central and then taxi to Matilda.

An ambulance will take you to a private hospital if they decide it is not an emergency, we recently had our son taken from db to the Matilda by ambulance.

However if the paramedics decide is an emergency they will take you to the nearest hospital, which I believe is the govt. Pricness Margaret in Lai King.

carang is offline Registered User

if you call the ambulance, they MUST take you to the CLOSEST hospital. driving, this is not QMH, but princess margaret (?). (at least that was the procedure 15 months ago when i had mine)

if you want QMH, you must take the ferry and call the ambulance to pick you up on the central side. it's not a problem, they did it for me....

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Sorry Cara but I have to disagree....I had a friend recently taken, in labour from Tung Chung to Matilda by ambulance, and another one taken in labour by ambulance from DB to Matilda.

Also our son was taken by ambulance from DB to Matilda.

The paramedics are not thrilled to have to go all the way to Matilda, and they will impress on you that they would rather you went to nearest hospital. BUT they will take you to private hospital, they make you fill out forms etc. that say you requested private and they suggested nearest. To cover their liability.

It took us 40 mins to get from DB to Matilda by ambulance.

carang is offline Registered User

good to know that they have reverted back to their original policy....

when i had to go, i was actually already admitted to QMH but given "home leave" for a couple of days. when the pain got to be unbearable, we called the ambulance. they told me on the phone that even though i was already an admitted patient at QMH, the policy was to take me to the nearest hospital, the hospital might transfer me later to QMH...

that seemed ridiculous to me. so struggled to the ferry in the wheelchair and called the ambulance to meet us at the ferry pier.

mommyof3 is offline Registered User

Thank you for the info everyone!! I'm nervous but I do realize that women deliver babies here everyday just like everywhere else :) Good luck to you too, rach.