Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Koh Samui holiday with 14-mo baby

asdasd is offline Registered User

Koh Samui holiday with 14-mo baby

Hi, we're planning our summer holiday in Koh Samui. I haven't been to Samui, so it would be grateful if you could share your experience with me, thanks in advance! Q as below:

-Which beach is more baby friendly?
    -any nice resort/bungalow recommendation? (budget max THB2500/night)

xcultural mummy is offline Registered User
    London/Hong Kong
    Hi there,

It's actually been a while for us but we were in Samui for our honeymoon a few years back. Now having had the post-baby experience in Australia and Europe I think I could have a little to offer...

We were at Santiburi resort in the northern bit of Samui, a bit secluded but a nice resort, then moved to closer to Chaweng (cheaper hotels, busier area) and then eventually stayed at the Le Royal Meridien Baan Taling Ngam, which was wonderful but not recommendable unless you ask very carefully about lifts - there were many steps as the hotel was built at the top of a cliff. The first place was great in hindsight for babies cos it was nice and flat in most places for prams, which is what you may be looking for unless you wish to use a sling most of the time. The food was great and hospitality perfect,

When we were there we were able to hire a moped as it was just the two of us, but of course having a baby makes that impossible. I remember having these rides shared with others in vans with open sides at the top (no windows but yes back support) to travel between the resorts and the main shopping area in Chaweng, which is ok in my opinion if you have a baby carrier to keep your baby close to you, and if you are happy to take the risk but of course no car seats! I'm sure if you want you could take a cab or arrange for more reliable transport from the hotel.

I remember the town centre as being quite well equipped and good enough for pushing prams around, with an English book shop, bowling alley, Haagen-Daz (provided you don't boycott Nestle!) cafe, a couple of nice Japanese restaurants, a Brazilian grill and of course loads of Thai food places. For ease of mind it's best to bring something like a totsseat (fabric seat to tie/velcro to chair) or a simple harness as your baby must be able to sit up well by now for meal times.
    Check out my
    for information and my thoughts on real nappies, baby carriers, breastfeeding, baby-led weaning and much more!