Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Any comment for Hooked on Phonics?

BonnieChan is offline Registered User

Just let my little girl to join a course in Parsons Musical Center.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I'm a teacher for Parsons Hooked on Phonics. Which centre is your daughter at?

Oh - and obviously, since I'm a teacher for it, I do believe in the course. However I think it can be extremely good for some children and not AS good for others.

a) I think THIS course is better when the child can already speak at least basic English. The course is very reading focused - and so if the child has NOOOO English base, it can be much harder for them. I have taught children like this - some of them can work through it and do pretty well, others of them struggle and then are pretty naughty because they don't even understand what's going on.
    b) I think this course isn't the BEST for REALLY young kids. Some parents enroll their kids when they are only a year old. It's really hard to teach then because the kids aren't really "mature enough" for it.

Probably with those two things considered, I think this course is GREAT for kids - both Chinese kids and native speakers. It primarily is developed to help to learn them read/write/spell - but it also helps with spoken English, grammar (depending on the way the teacher teaches and the level of the class) and it is a FUN course too!

Any course has it's weaknesses and strengths - and if you have ANY questions, feel free to ask! I've been teaching the Hooked on Phonics course in Hong Kong for a year and a half, and I've been teaching at Parsons since they recently opened classes!!

AforApple is offline Banned
    I really enjoy the Hooked on Phonics series. As a previous teaching consultant who uses the program and as a mother who has a son who is doing it now at kindy ...all I can say is that it really focusses on your child's understanding of letter and the sound they make and then their reading from the basic to the more advance.

A good age to start is 4 for the Hooked on Phonics program. Quite cheap to buy from amazon or the scholastic book club and you could do it at home also as reinforcement...comes complete with audio CD, exercise book and story books (and more).

I think that you can even start at age 2 - 3 for the "Letter Names" box, 3-4 for "Letter Sounds"... of course there are LOTS of whiz kids in Hong Kong. I've taught a 4 or 5 year old who was on the 2nd grade level, recommended for ages 7-8!! (and that recommendation is for native speakers, not as a 2nd language!!)

BonnieChan is offline Registered User
    Hi Nicolejoy & AforApple,

Thanks for your replies.

My girl will join the class for "Letter Names" box and her 1st class will be on tomorrow. hope she enjoys the class.

The class is at Tuen Mun Center.

Tracy Chan is offline Registered User

Do you work as a private tutor for my daughters in age5 & 7?

Hi Nicolejoy,
    I am a mother of two daughters and I am looking for a private tutor to teach my kids on phonics. If you interested in the job, could we discuss the details through email? My personal email address is [email protected].
    Thanks & Regards,
    Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    Oh - and obviously, since I'm a teacher for it, I do believe in the course. However I think it can be extremely good for some children and not AS good for others.

a) I think THIS course is better when the child can already speak at least basic English. The course is very reading focused - and so if the child has NOOOO English base, it can be much harder for them. I have taught children like this - some of them can work through it and do pretty well, others of them struggle and then are pretty naughty because they don't even understand what's going on.
    b) I think this course isn't the BEST for REALLY young kids. Some parents enroll their kids when they are only a year old. It's really hard to teach then because the kids aren't really "mature enough" for it.

Probably with those two things considered, I think this course is GREAT for kids - both Chinese kids and native speakers. It primarily is developed to help to learn them read/write/spell - but it also helps with spoken English, grammar (depending on the way the teacher teaches and the level of the class) and it is a FUN course too!

Any course has it's weaknesses and strengths - and if you have ANY questions, feel free to ask! I've been teaching the Hooked on Phonics course in Hong Kong for a year and a half, and I've been teaching at Parsons since they recently opened classes!!