Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone here can comment on York kindergarten?

kas
    kas is offline Registered User

Anyone here can comment on York kindergarten?

Hi folks...

Need to find out more on this school. anyone who has kids in this kindergarten?
    Care to give some info here, please?

Is it silly to send my kid to this school when i am in west kowloon area?

Thanks!

mosmom is offline Registered User
    What would you like to know in particular about this kg? There's lots to say about it, so if you could give some hints about what you're interested in..? :)

papaof2 is offline Registered User
    My wife and I were in Kowloon Tong last month sourcing for kg for my son. Went in to York and the vice principal attended to us.

My 1st impression was not good. The VP emphasized quite a lot about their video conferencing with other schools all over the world, stressing that it is something that is very difficult to achieve with all the wirings they have to do. In this day and age of technological advances, I don't see the difficulty.

2nd, I saw the kids in a classroom-like environment where they sit down behind a desk with the teacher teaching in front. They will have lots of opportunities to do that from primary up to university. Furthermore, they are supposed to be an English kindergarten, yet I saw the teachers conversing in Cantonese with the children in all the classrooms I went pass. Hardly heard a word of English.

3rd, they are very proud of a Cambridge test the kids have to take. Again, I don't see why children at kindergarten have to take a test at such a tender age.

I'm not sending my son there. Yew Chung seems better where the children learn through play. Heard from a friend that there is a new kindergarten opening in Kowloon Tong later this year. Their approach is similar to YC and Tutortime so I'm waiting.

kas
    kas is offline Registered User
    hi mosmom,
    comments like those from papaof2 would be useful..
    do you agree with his comments and you have other info to share...

hi papaof2,
    thanks for the input. have you walked around yew chung and noticed that the teachers were conversing in english only?

i have yet to check out yew chung..

thanks

papaof2 is offline Registered User
    Oh yes, I have been to Yew Chung. They had an open house last week and I went to check out the classes.

Yew Chung has mainstream (local) and International. Their approach for children is much better. The kids learn through play and are more creative. Their artworks are seen all over the place.

However, the difference between the two streams is very vague. Mainstream consist of lessons in English and Cantonese and so does the International stream. The only major difference is mainstream is half days whereas International is full days. And children from both streams are accepted into Yew Chung Primary which I think blurs the definition between the streams further.

They have both local and expat teachers so expect lessons in Cantonese at least 1/2 of the times.

Yew Chung is one of the better schools I came across. I'm waiting to visit a few more schools to see if I can find the best.

kas
    will PM you! ;)

hi! i tried again.. sometimes, i don't receive PMs either. hope it's worked this time. cheers :)

elaine is offline Registered User
    Just a quick question. Do we have to make an appointment before visiting the kindergarten? Would it be okay if we just pop in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast