Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Any Cantonese Language Class for New Residents at Central?

Adavies is offline Registered User

Any Cantonese Language Class for New Residents at Central?

Hi,

I just moved to Hong Kong with my husband and a young baby from Australia 3 weeks ago. Does anyone know a cantonese language class or school ran by the local communities to help new residents to fit into the new environment?

I speak English and Mandarine and I am living in Mid Levels. So, the language class in Central or closeby will be ideal.

BTW, mums who are new to Hong Kong, do you want to form a mothers group to meet new friends?

flickserve is offline Registered User
    I went to Berlitz for private classes. Rather expensive but I did learn much better compared to the other group classes that I had tried. They have their classes just between Wan Chai and Admiralty.

SayangSayang is offline Registered User
    Make friends with the local; Watch local TV channels or buy a CDs and listen to a popular local group, Go to Karaoke bar and go with the flows... of course develops an enthusiasm of the Chinese dialects and culture…and you do not have to spend a cent..

GreenArchi is offline Registered User
    I'm been in HK now for 2 years. I'm from Aust. and before I came I taught myself some basic Cantonese with cd and book (Berlitz), but it wasn't enough as I wanted to learn more about structure etc. of the language.
    So I did a one on one course learning Cantonese for 20 lessons (which i stretched out over 11 months (due to working/travelling etc.) I can recommend strongly HKPVS (Hong Kong Putonghua Vocational School), they teach both Putonghua and Cantonese as one on one or group settings. Ph: 2805 2055 www.putonghua.com (head office in Admiralty).
    It was hard to find Cantonese speaking classes when I first arrived, but HKPVS were wonderful and very friendly.
    I also agree with what Sa**** Sa**** says, by speaking to the locals, they will talk with you, but it does help to know the basics of the language first. Buy DVDs with Cantonese language and english subtitles, this helps too.
    Let me know if you want more info on the above, or want to meet for a coffee (I live in Mid-Levels also).