Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby carrier / slings

mushi is offline Registered User

Baby carrier / slings

hi, i am looking for a good, safe and comfortable sling to carry my one-month old baby. someone recommended maya wrap from la leche league, anyone ever used it? is it safe to carry a one-month old in a sit-up carrier? ...any experiences pls. share.

kairo is offline Registered User
    I'm also considering using a sling, but it can apparently only be used while the baby is very small, then you'll have to convert to a carrier.
    I checked out some carriers and most have neck support making it safe to use from the beginning

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Mayawrap carriers (and other similar slings) can be used from birth until the child is 33 lbs. With my last baby, I took her home from hospital in one and the last time I used it she was three and a half years old. (She was ill, we were in Japan and she wanted to be held all the time and having the sling with us was a lifesaver for me.)
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    I have also carried my toddler in a ring sling till he was at least 2, and still do it sometimes now that he is approaching 3. It's just that it's not comfortable to carry a heavier baby/child in a one-shouldered sling for long periods. It depends on your plans for carrying your baby. If you're anticipating shopping trips of 2 hours with the baby on your hip, then my opinion is, it's not that comfortable!

However, if you want the sling for settling at home, doing housework, short walks to the supermarket, getting in and out of public transport etc etc, then they are fantastic, very easy and light, and convenient.

In fact I'm taking the sling with me on an outing tomorrow so that I can leave the stroller at home. For those times when my 17kg nearly 3 year old wants to be carried, I'd much rather do it in a sling than just with my arms!

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Sorry to answer your original question, you can carry newborns in these types of slings, but you can't guarantee they will like it. My baby didn't like it till he was able to sit on my hip, which was about 6 months or so. I know many others who love it for their newborns though.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Talking to the mothers who buy the slings I’ve found they either love them or hate them. It does take a little while to get used to using them but most agree that it was worth the effort.

A few suggestions about getting comfortable with using the sling:

• Start using it at home
    • At first put your baby in it when he is happy, if he’s already crying it isn’t the time to try something new
    • Hold the baby up against your chest and get help to place the sling around him. I’ve found that when learning the babies are usually happier in an upright position than a lying position. (Once they like the upright position then try the lying position)
    • Once you get the sling at exactly the right length for you it will be really comfortable. If you are finding it uncomfortable it usually means the sling is too long and the baby too low.
    • Watch the video that comes with the sling – even if you are the type of person who frowns on reading the instructions – this one is worth it.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    I have used slings of pretty much every kind. For very small babies a wrap carrier is best, I think - the baby's head is supported, and the baby is totally secure. For ring slings I think it's not so easy for newborns, but when they are bigger it is fantastic - I still use it for my 3.5-year old sometimes. LLL sells the Maya Wrap, and you can get wrap carriers here:

www.saladdays.com.hk

fennho is offline Registered User
    i am using the MIM slings to carry for my 4mth old bb...but i think it doesnt seem to help me becos it's killing my back!! Think it's due to my back problem...dont find it suitable for me. But i agree on the hands-free thingy..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast