Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Expat in Shenzhen, Mainland wife, thinking of birth in HK

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Delivering at Union in September

Hello,
    I will be delivering at Union Hospital in September. Not sure when your wife is due but if it is after me I can definately let you know how it went. It seems very nice so far. We are seeing a doctor for our check ups who will also deliver the baby. He is a very nice, patient and reassuring doctor and I can give you his name if you are still interested in seeing doctors in Hong Kong. He has an office in two locations, one of which is at Union hospital. Keep in touch.

mrg9192 is offline Registered User
    Megan,
    It would be great to hear about your experience afterwards. The female doctor we have been to at Union Hospital seems intelligent, but a bit less patient and more interested in setting up the date for the delivery.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Hi, I am also planning to give birth (but not til Jan) and was recommended Union. I visited there last weekend and was given the grand tour. All was ok (despite the high price tags of course) but the one thing I really felt uncomfortable about was the fac that the babies all stay in a nursery and can't come to the room, and the mother has to go to the nursery all the time to visit, and worse, the father can only see the baby for like 30 minutes per day!
    Just want to know what you guys think about that, and if you have had any other experiences at other hospitals. I'm also based in Shenzhen, and am actually looking forward to visiting VIP Birthing Centre in Guangzhou.
    Thanks and congrats on your upcoming new children~

I asked about the Father visiting and they said that you would have to get a private room if you want the baby to stay in the room with you. Also, you have to pay extra for a nurse to monitor the baby in the room. This is what I gathered, not sure if I may have misinterpreted due to the language barrier. I have heard that it is hard for the father to see the baby in the nursery and that he needs to sign up to see the baby as spots are limited. Hope that helps.

Delivered Early

Hello,

As promised :) I am writing to let you know about my experience at Union. It was quite good. During the last typhoon, my water unexpectatly broke and we had to go to Union early. When I first arrived, I was worried because I was early. There was some slight difficulty with understanding do to the language barrier but over all, all questions were answered.

Because my baby was breech, I had to have a c section. They scheduled me right away. Because we weren't expecting to deliver, we didn't bring anything with us. The hospital actually provides a service of taking the pictures of the csection for you, if you chose that option. It is only around $200 hong kong. They did a great job of taking pictures of the baby and us with the baby and gave us a copy of the pictures on a cd very fast after delivery. It was nice because we were able to email friends and family immediatly.

The faculty and facilites exceeded expectations. Everybody was very pleasant and took great care of me and my baby. Because my baby was premature, she was put in an incubator for several days. The nursery staff was very accomidating for us visiting the baby. My husband actually got to see her several times before I got to see her. There were no strict visiting hours for us to see her. Once she was off the incubator, my husband did have to follow the schedule. It was never an issue for limited spaces.

Also, if you choose to breastfeed, they have someone help you get started. There is someone in the nursery who will sit with you and guide you with what to do. They also show you a video before you start, but it is only in Cantonese. They ended up giving me a booklet in English that will answer your questions regarding breast feeding.

With the maternity package, there is an option of a meal plan. I would recommend not getting it. I actually chose to get it but didn't understand that it was preset and never ordered the meals. They have a menu in the room which you can choose from many different things to eat including some western meals. They will charge you individually for each meal you order, if you don't choose the meal plan.

They also have several other surprises and gifts that they give you and your baby when you leave. I don't want to ruin the surprise, but I will say, it was very nice :)

There didn't seem to be any unexpected charges with the bill once we recieved it. We knew it would be a little more because our baby was premature but it was still afordable. Also, the staff offered that we could send our baby to a public hospital if the bill started to become too much for us to afford.

Overall I highly recommend this hospital. The staff and environment was very pleasant and I almost didn't want to leave! Please PM if you should have any additional questions.

....one more thing, I think (starting is Sept.) they will bring the baby to your room to breastfeed. That would also allow the father more time with the baby.

Megan. Wow, thanks for the good update
    ...and congratulations!

Baby born

Well our baby was born about three weeks ago at Union and the hospital was pretty good. we paid the cheapest package rate, but were put into a two bed room, not their largest 4 bed room. 80% of the mothers giving birth were mainlanders. Our obstetrician for c-section and post-op care was better than she was during the office appointments. Still not the most empathetic woman around, but one of the times she was checking on my wife was 9pm on a Sunday night. And right after she left the c-section op room she came up to me in the hallway and gave me a little briefing. My wife was in the op room for a bit more than an hour and I was in there for about 20 minutes.

The pediatrician, Helene Wan, was nice and friendly and UK educated. Nurses were fine and generally spoke decent English. Some of the nurses' aides however were not the best with English.

But for someone who lives up in Shenzhen, having a baby in Hong Kong can be a pain. My wife forgot this thing or that document so I had to go back up to Shenzhen quite a few times. Also, make sure you have the baby's name picked out beforehand, because you will need to register the baby's birth at the local government office about two days after the birth if you want to then get the documents so you all can head back up to Shenzhen. (If you are in no hurry to get back, then you have as much time as you want, but will have to pay extra if the registration date is more than a month or so after the birth). You won't have much time to think about the baby's name in that day or two. Remember for the husband to get to the registration office early, as they limit the number of births they can process each day (especially Saturday). Best to get to re-entry permit office (same Shatin building) early too. If you have one more person besides your husband to help out, that would be good.

Basically everything was indeed included in the package as we only paid HK$600 or so more when we checked out. And 400 of that was the extra bed pulled in for the nanny to sleep on at night.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast