Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Expat in Shenzhen, Mainland wife, thinking of birth in HK

carey is offline Registered User
    Congratulations on your new born baby mrg9192. Thank you very much for sharing. I learned a lot from this tread.

I am a Mainland expecting mother and my husband is an expat in the Mainland. We live in a city near Shenzhen.

We have decided to deliver our first in Union for the very same reasons you mentioned about giving birth in Hong Kong.

I have an appointment with a female doctor-- Dr. Connie Yuan in about one week. I am wondering if your wife had the same doctor. If yes, I would love to share your experience with her. You could PM me if you preferred.

I have a lot of questions for her because this is my first and previous scans done in Mainland indicated that there might be complications in my pregnancy.

Forgetting things can be a pain. My husband is better at getting things organized. So we would try to make sure bring all it's needed and save some unnecessary trips. We are even further away from Shantin than your family. well, I also have a big family here who is very willing to help-like my mother--can't wait to get a grandchild.

mrg9192 is offline Registered User
    Carey,
    Our obstetrician was Dr. Lam, so different doctor. Feel free to ask here or PM for any other questions you might have.
    Other info:
    --After checking out of the hospital we spent a night and a half in a hotel while we were filling out forms and waiting for documents. We were at the Regal Riverside in Shatin. Undergoing renovation, but the rooms were fairly generously sized, which was good because there were three of us and the baby. Location is decent if your husband will be staying there while you are in hospital because it is a mile or so away from Shatin government offices, but 10-15 minute walk to KCR. If you stay at a hotel, big room is better. You'll be spending a lot of time there for a day or two.
    --We hired a car (actually nice minivan) to cross the border back to Shenzhen. We aren't too far from the Huanggang border crossing in Futian district and from the hotel to our apartment cost HK$700 (600rmb). More expensive than two taxis, but hassle-free.

mwong222 is offline Registered User

american expat, mainland wife, but in zhuhai

Hi,

I am also an american expat with mainlaind wife. This is my first baby. I am now planning to give birth in HK. I am registerd with QMH because my colleagues in HK recommended it and I live on HK Island when i am in HK.

1. For me to register for my son's birth in China, they wanted me to certify that I (a foreigner having a foreign child) do not already have a child. did this happen to you? I thought the one-child policy only applied to mainland Chinese people? Just curious since i am not giving birth in China anymore.

2. How did you get dual citizenship for your first child in Shenzhen? The US does allow dual citizenship but China does not (so not allowed to have 2 passports at all no matter what age, unless i am mistaken). This is why i wanted HK in the first place (had to talk wife into it, she didn't want to go to HK). Also just curious.

3. what documents did you use to proove that you had physical presence in the US to establish your kid's US citizenship? I can get my HS and college transcripts. I also have all my adult passports but can't seem to find my childhood passport. Will the transcripts be enough?

4. Also, my fammily in HK says that you cannot get a HK passport unless you give up US citizenship. does anyone know if this is true? because of this, they want me to apply for HK passport first for my son before applying for his US citizenship.

My son is due Feb. 2009 so i have time but i worry about #3 a lot these days. I never realized how hard it was to proove that i grew up in the US before.

M Wong>
    1. With the birth of our first child, I don't recall having to sign anything saying I had not had a child before. But the neighborhood management office somehow found out my wife was pregnant with our second child, and called her up saying she can't do that. My wife told them that they can't do anything about it, and that the child won't be born in the mainland anyhow. Kinda scary that they even found out and called.

2. We just have not told China that she has an American passport too. Our daughter is actually now in China with her American passport, not as a Chinese citizen. Because 1) the US Consulate recommends it that way, 2) she would need a visa (visa=money) anyhow in order to leave China as a Chinese citizen. Such a hassle. So if she is going to need a new visa/entry permit each time she leaves China as a Chinese, it is just easier for her to be here as an American and have one multiple entry visa. Either way is expensive. Being a HK citizen is less hassle for second baby.

3. College transcript worked for me. But basically the consular officer, once she heard my American accent, barely even looked at the transcript. My guess is they only scrutinize the people who have a heavy accent or can't even speak English.

4. Yes, I saw that if you apply for a HK passport you need to give up the other country passport. However, to go back and forth between HK and mainland you need a HK re-entry permit and a Mainland Entry Permit--not a passport. So, unless you want to go to other countries as a HK citizen, then just use the baby's American passport, no need to get a HK passport. Even if you do get a HK passport, I wouldn't worry too much anyhow.

thanks

-> mrg919

1. For how the local government office found out, most likely someone told them. It is actually the only way for them to know. Especially if they called you.

2. I know the US consulate recommends it because they will only take care of people who declares they are American when entering a country. So if she doesn't use her US passport then she is declaring she is Chinese and they don't care if she is really American or not.

3. thanks. this has calmed me down a lot. I really don't feel like filling out the passport forms as i have travelled quite a bit since college.

4. Yeah, i know about the return home card. You make a good point. HK passport really has no use since he will only use the US passport.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    Hi

I dont think HK is against dual citizenship (two passport) but I think US would not allow dual citizenship.

My step children and husband both holds a canadian and HK passport.

So I dont think its a problem. I am delivering my boy next week, he too will hold a HK passport and we will subsequently apply for a canada passport for him.

US dual citizenship

-> jaz1311

I have been doing a lot of research on this issue. Actually the US does allow dual citizenship. I have seen many different stories. Some say you have to give up citzenship when naturalized. Others say you don't have to.

The only issue the US has for dual citizenship (that i have seen) is whether or not they can/will help you on foreign soil. I have not seen anything that says you cannot legally have dual citizenship.

If you use another country's passport to enter a foreign country, the US will/can not help you because 'essentially' you are declaring that you are not a US citizen (but still have to pay US taxes though). i think it is this reason a lot of people think the US doesn't allow dual citizenship. But quite honestly, i know a lot of Americans with dual citizenship and they only use their US passports to travel.

either way, i feel my kids will be better off having dual citizenship than just one. opens more doors for them. Just have to watch out for which country to do citizenships. I am not getting taiwan citizenship until i am 40 (or 45, i forget the age limit) so i don't have to do military service.

Just wanted to update this thread. In Shenzhen our baby was just diagnosed with Calcaneovalgus Foot deformity, apparently a fairly common issue with babies. So my wife and I will be heading into HK and Union Hospital to see a doctor at the hospital's orthopedic clinic. This is the second or third time we will have brought him to Union Hospital. So I am fairly happy we chose a location for delivery that was somewhat convenient to get to from the border, because it ends up being the place that we bring our baby to for pediatric care. I guess there is a certain amount of 'stickiness' with health care--after delivery the hospital assigns a pediatrician to call on the baby those first few days and she seems fine enough so we continue with her. Glad we aren't schlepping to Matilda each time. Pediatric appointments are about HK$300 (-5% for babies born at the hospital). Although this orthopedic appointment will cost a minimum HK$600.

calcaneovalgus foot
    At birth

At walking age

Mwong-> how did things go?
    unrelated: Tax wise, if you wait to declare your child a US citizen, his income won't be taxed by the US government--probably doesn't outweigh other considerations, but just a thought.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123