Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Moving to HK @ 23weeks.. need advice and help!

shoni is offline Registered User
    I swapped OBGYN's at 20 weeks to Dr Grace Chung, who is wonderful. At that point I was put on the waiting list for Matilda and recieved confirmation at 26 weeks that I had a bed. I was told it could be anywhere up to 36 weeks so was very relieved it happened so quickly.

I was promised by the practice that I would get a bed as they have never had a patient refused one.

Central Health is the practice in Central, HK Island.

flickserve is offline Registered User
    The other alternative for late booking is to see Danny Leung who is a resident O&G at HK Sanatorium. Although a nice hospital environment, apparently every small thing used is charged for and the style is more chinese orientated. Then again, it should be no more chinese orientated than the Kowloon hospitals

KKKK is offline Registered User
    I saw Sally Ferguson when I was approx 20 - 25 weeks and was put on the waiting list for Matilda - I am now nearly 36weeks and still don't have a space confirmed - I think I am now 3rd on Sally's waiting list but am not hopeful for place.

Bron13 is offline Registered User

Question In the same boat

Hi

Just read your post and am completely in the same boat. I will also be moving to HK mid August at 23 weeks with no 2.
    Wondered if you have made any decisions and let me know what you decided.

I am still debating the whole public/private option and wanted to hire a doula however being due in mid Dec may not have services available from Annerley who are possibly in holiday mode. Does anyone know of any private midwifes in HK who act as doulas as well? Timing it seems is everything!

The reason I posted here is I am also living in Tsing Yi so would love to get catch up with you and chat when I arrive.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    Hi Bron13...
    Where will you be living in Tsing Yi?
    I'd love to meet up when you arrive...
    I'm going private the whole way, biggest reason was at the time when I decided I didn't have my dependent HKID yet, so I needed to book a private hospital asap, as all the hospitals were getting booked really quickly. My OB was able to get me into Adventist. I can't really help you with the midwives part, cause I didn't look into that. But from my understanding when I visted the hospital the nurses are also midwives...
    The important part of why I chose Adventist was that they will allow my baby to be in my room the whole time.

Hope this somewhat helps...
    ~Theresa~

Bron13 is offline Registered User
    Hi Thanks for the quick reply. Will be arriving Tsing Yi in about 2 weeks. However our furniture has not arrived so may end of staying in a hotel close by for a few days.

How about I give you a call once I get settled! Is there a way to exchange details without public posting? Would love to meet up and chat. I also have a 18 month old girl we will be living in La Esplanda.

Thanks for the help. I have posted a separate thread re the doula and going to try and get some info on Queen Elizabeth which are meant to be 'progressive'. I think I will probably go public and discharge myself early (if all goes well) in Aus stayed in hospital only 1 night...and maybe hire a maternity nurse or some post labour help.

BUT...things may change.

Best wishes & Speak soon.

fhurley is offline Registered User
    Is there any reason you are going private ? I used the public system Prince of Wales in Shatin. It was fantastic. I had a natural birth and was out in a day. The nurses were great and really helpful and the whole thing cost $150. Unless you have insurance I see no reason to use the private system when the public one is so good. Also most of the private hospitals will take your baby to Queen Mary or Prince of Wales if there is a problem as these have the facilities to deal with neo natal issues. If they do you will be charged a private rate for the same care others receive for free or public rate.
    If you wish to discuss the public system as an option please message me and I will give you my number.
    I agree Hulda from Annerley is fantastic I used her also and she helped with all aspects of birth and aftercare. I also did the hypnobirthing classes with her which helped me to have a natural birth and no episitotomy !!
    realj0y likes this.

fhurley is offline Registered User
    Oh forgot to say - they are pro breastfeeding and the baby can stay with you all the time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast