Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

21 month old in own bed?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

21 month old in own bed?

Hi- just wondered if anyone could help.

Our son will be just 21 months when our 2nd baby is born.

He's now almost 19 months and still sleeping in his cot, in his own room.

We just don't have space to buy another cot for the new baby.

The plan then is to move our son into his own bed, a child's bed a month or so before the new baby arrives.

Anyone have any experience of this and was it a success?

Most people I have spoken to seem to think we are going to have real problems getting our son to sleep in a bed and not his cot.

I know a lot depends on the child, but would appreciate any tips for moving a rising 2yr old into a bed!

syuan is offline Registered User
    My son was 15 months when we moved him to a futon on the floor in his own room, so that his baby sister could use his cot. Actually, he was quite excited about it because it was bigger, and we could lay there with him while reading books, and he was free to get in and out of bed as he wished. He never once asked to go back into the cot!

Good luck!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Our son was about 18 months when we moved him into a proper bed. We had two or three nights where he played up a little but he's loved it ever since. When I say played up, it was just a little bit of grumbling. In hindsight I would have taken him to buy the bed so he would have known he was getting 'a big boy bed' rather than just throwing it on him. But a bit of a grumble for 3 days is not a big deal and we are glad we moved him. When we go on holiday he can sleep in a normal bed now, a big bonus.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Ok great, so maybe not going to be a challenge after all!

Think will have to go get 'big boys bed,' asap so he can start getting use to it now before he has a new sibling to cope with too!

motherOF2 is offline Registered User
    We moved our daughter who was then 17 or 18 months old into an adult single bed so that her brother would be able to use her cot when he is born. At that time, we were moving into our new home and we put the new bed in her room (with the safety bar on one side) and told her it's her new bed since she is now a big girl. Everytime when we asked her to go to her bed, she pointed at the cot which is in the next room instead of her new bed but when we led her to her room with the new bed, she gets into bed without any complaining . This went on for a few days and finally she will go to her new bed on her own when we asked her to go to bed.
    Bekyboo44, it is better that u start now before the sibling arrives. He might feel jealous that his sibling is taking over his bed if u do it too late.