Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

infant seat on plane

mintycat is offline Registered User

infant seat on plane

I will be flying to Canada with my 2 kids (3 and 1 years old), a helper and husband. We are thinking of just buying an infant ticket for the 1 year old and not a seat because I figure that she will not sit still during the 15 hr flight and she will end up sitting on our laps most of the time. She is very attached to me as she is exclusively breastfed but she will also go to my husband and DH if she is fed and happy. If she is cranky, she only wants me.

In your experience, on long haul flights, is it crazy of me to not get her a seat? I can save about a few thousands of dollars.

I forgot to mention that she is about 22 lbs now, so by the time we travel she could be 23-24 lbs. 3 of us taking turns should not be too bad, right?

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Same situation here. We will be flying with our 3yo son and 1yo baby to Canada this summer and we've bought her her own seat and we will be bringing along her car seat with her, so that it will be more comfy for her (and for us!).

On long-haul flights, we make it a point to get the kids their own seats --even though they don't require that you do before the kid turns 2. It's just easier all around and even if you end up carrying her most of the way, you will still have that extra seat/ space to "stretch" and put things.

Also, if you are flying with CX and if the flight is not full, you can always request that they block off another seat next to you or the baby, so that you might use that to lie the baby down for changing or just to have that extra space for the baby to play when she wants.

Good luck on your flight.

Portia is offline Registered User
    We bought our 16 month old a seat and brought his car seat when we flew back to Canada last month. It's useful not to have to use the car rental company's filthy car seats and to have the extra space on the plane. We also that that our LO would want to be held by me, my husband or the DH most of the flight, but he surprised us. He was actually more comfortable and happier in his own car seat. He watched DVDs sitting in his own seat and fell asleep for a few hours too.

I think it would be manageable if there are 3 adults to share carrying your LO, but it would be more comfortable for you all if she has her own seat.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    I also vote for a separate seat on a long-haul flight. In addition to the above, sometimes you just need to be able to put the LO somewhere (and not in someone's lap).

fairy-godmother is offline Registered User
    I also vote for a separate ticket.
    I'm flying to Melbourne (9hrs) with my daughter who will be 20 mths in June and we also brought her a ticket so she won't have to sleep on us throughout the flight.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    Anyone flying (or has flown) in the new business class of CX for long haul flights? The website says that the new business class does not accommodate car seats, so how do the little babies sit in the seat if they are young/small?

Our Britax carseat cannot be used on the plane seats, at least according to the instruction. Also we already have 2 carseats in Canada so I will not bring a carseat with me. Thanks, I will have to rethink whether to rebook a seat for LO (I canceled it).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast