Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Going out with baby

geomum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Going out with baby

I would love to go out with my 2 month old but I am unable to manage her in one hand and open the push chair with the other. She weights 13 lbs, will carrying her in a sling or a baby carrier too taxing on my back or shoulders? How do you guys manage? I feel restricted sometimes not being able to go out without my husband.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Fo Tan
    We still put the "baby" in the sling and he is pushing 30 pounds now. No back problems.
    The sling distributes the weight around your body. Sort of like a backpack does.
    Of course, if you have some sort of pre-existing back issue that might not hold true.

MaiYe is offline Banned
    which sling are you using and where did you get it?

mosmom is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong SAR
    i like using a mei tai. it is very easy to put on, cheap (buy it in the wet market) and the child is in a perfect sitting position inside.
    generally speaking, however, i go out much less to far-out places on my own.. having a shopping spree in central, travelling all the way from N.T.? no way! too much of a hassle and i'm basically just waiting for better times to come when my baby grows up..
    wonder how other moms also manage on their own?!

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Yuen Long, Hong Kong
    We live out in Yuen Long, and we also have a pushchair that you can't open with one hand. In fact you need to bend over in half to jimmy the plastic pulley -- as we bought it second hand and now it gets stuck.

For me, it was a case of get out of the house, or pretty much conform myself to the area which I did not want to do, so I sucked it up and made excusrions into Central -- and you know what? It was the best thing I could have done for myself.

As a result both me a LO are happier and confident. Little K has been taken out and about since he was a week old so he loves being out in the buggy, and likes the different views. He doesn't fuss at naptime and goes straight down no matter where we are.

I couldn't urge you more to try and get out with you little one. It made me feel more confident as a mother, and whats more -- competent as well. It was the day that I took bub to playgroup for the first time (when he was 2 months old) and it involved leaving the house at 8.20 am (to get to the Peak for 10) 2 trains and making it to a shuttle bus, where I slung him, and had to work out how to close the buggy alone, and carry it inside. I felt so proud of myself that day, and it is an insane trip when you think about it but we both truly did benefit.

We use the baby bjorn til today (he's 5 months old and over 8kg at his checkup 2 weeks ago)

Although HK CAN be baby-unfriendly I find when it's just me by myself with the baby I've ALWAYS received help (and bab gets lots of fuss over) especially when there are steps, and taxi drivers usually offer to help you fold your buggy (a sweet gesture though with the language barrier it usually takes longer to explain!)

Take Heart, if there's one thing I've learnt since becoming a mummy is that you really can do anything! It's important to remember that it's just OUR OWN nerves getting in the way and we are not endangering our bab's in any way.

I would suggest at least for the first couple of times not having a very time-limiting destination such as an appointment. Try coffee with a flexible friend so you can be a bit more relaxed about the journey. We're available if you like :D, hehe.

I hope that helps!

Scroll to top