Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How often an 11 month old needs to nurse

AG2007 is offline Registered User

How often an 11 month old needs to nurse

My 11 month old eats 3 solid meals plus snacks in between meals.

My question is, I used to nurse her 3 times a day (7am, 3-4pm & 7pm) but in the past few days she's refused the middle feed. She only feeds 4-5 mins in the morning, but 15-20 mins in the evening. Is this normal?? Or more importantly, enough???

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AG2007 View Post
    Is this normal??
    Yes this is very normal.

Quote Originally Posted by AG2007 View Post
    Or more importantly, enough???
    I believe it will be enough but if you are concerned try offering the breast at different times. Babies will usually accept taking more when they are sleepy – either just as they wake up or just as they go to sleep. If he isn’t interested don’t worry just accept that your little one is growing up a bit.

As babies grow the nutritional aspect of breast milk reduces in importance for the baby because he is getting nutrition from the solid food he is eating. But the immune boost that the baby gets from the antibodies is still there. And in fact as the quantity of milk the baby drinks reduces the concentration of antibodies increases. So even if the baby is only drinking once a day (or even once a week) he is still getting the benefits of being a breastfed baby.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Thanks so much Sarah for your advise. Very reassuring indeed!

mintycat is offline Registered User

Great question because I am in the same boat with an 11 month old and our feeding times are exactly the same. Lately she has been squirming around during all feeds, on all fours, rocking her bottom in the air, turning upside down esp during the 3-4 pm feed. I was wondering if this is a sign of her weaning this particular feed? We nurse lying down at 7 am which she is ok with and by 7 pm she is so tired that she doesn't move much. I also worry if she is getting enough but she seems happy and content. She also eats 3 solids meals plus snacks in between.

hi mintycat
    i actually recently dropped the 3/4pm feed because (a) in the past few weeks she too has been so fiddly, turning upside down, etc (b) only drinks about 3-4 minutes during the feed anyway and (c) recently didn't seem interested at all in the feed - i almost had to fight with her to get her to latch on!!!!

so i figured just to drop it and a couple days later I tried her again just to see what happens and she totally refused!! she's a very active child and doesn't look pale or lifeless in anyway, so that must be a good indication she's having enough. i give her yoghurt and milk cereal so hopefully this is enough!

maybe we're just lucky in that our children are naturally weaning themselves from breastfeeding so we don't have to deal with the tears!!!!!

mintycat is offline Registered User

Hi AG2007

We are definitely in the same boat. I am thinking of weaning that feed soon too because the way she twists about makes my nipples so sore (feels like I am breastfeeding a newborn again) and it's starting to bleed a bit too.

I guess sometimes I do wonder if they drop a feed, should we replace that feed with either formula or cow's milk? I really prefer to switch directly to cow's milk but was told to wait til she is one year old.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

As your baby is telling you that she doesn’t want to nurse – why not replace the feed with a snack instead of milk?

Trust your baby to tell you what she wants – if she still wants milk I believe that she’d nurse. Also giving solids rather than liquids will encourage her to breastfeed again if what she wants is milk.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

I actually replace the feed with yoghurt and a fruit. I don't know yet whether to give cow's milk so with her morning cereal i mix in formula. funny thing is she doesn't mind having formula in her food but refuses to drink it as a drink. I just read that by 1yr babies only need about 400 mls of milk so with the 2 nursing sessions we give, surely it should be enough....(?)

Seems logical that if she wants milk she would've wanted to nurse...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast