Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Private hospitals in Kowloon

katelynBB is offline Registered User

Private hospitals in Kowloon

Hi all..
    I've decided to choose a private hospital in Kowloon, can anyone recommend a hospital?
    I'm from Canada and had my first born there, and I'm really used to their way of practice, so I'd really like a hospital that has great doctors that encourage natural birth and allows my newborn to stay with me after birth.
    I've called around to some hospitals and apparantly newborns need to be in the nursery except feedings.. I'm not quite comfortable with that situation.

Is it better to find a doctor that works at the hospital to have a better chance of getting a room? I'm currently 24 weeks and will be flying to HK this week to find a doctor and a hosptal. Any advice on the best way to do this would be great!
    Thanks!!!

flickserve is offline Registered User

Try looking for the resident O&G of the hospital. They will have a better chance of getting into the hospital if there are still spaces available. Honestly don't know about the nursing practices with your newborn. But you just cannot expect it to be similar to your previous experience in Canada.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

I don't know too much about kowloon hospitals, it seemed like from what you said, Matilda on the peak might be more akin to waht you want.

I only know one Kowloon hospital that I would NOT recommend - Saint Teresa's. A friend of mine had her second son delievered there and because of the unprofessional attitude of the staff there, the whole brith became a terrible tragedy, resulting in the baby losing many of his senses and

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

now basically survives on life support.

peainpod is offline Registered User

I may be wrong but I think all private hospitals will allow you to room-in with your baby if you choose to book a private room - so if you have the budget, then that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not very familiar with Kowloon hospitals but I knew a couple of ppl that have delivered at the Baptist Hospital in Kowloon and were happy with their choice.

KKKK is offline Registered User

rooming-in

Check carefully with each hospital as not all allow rooming-in even if you have a private room. Union Hospital on Kowloon side is one that has private rooms but no rooming in (unless you hire a private full time nurse independantly - this is currently proving harder than expected!!!!)

Bubbly is offline Registered User

Union Hospital is not on Kowloon but in New Territories. The other private hospital on Kowloon apart from St. Teresa's is Baptist Hospital. I am seeing Dr. Jimmy Mak there for my second baby (due Nov 08) and so far so good. He was my doctor with my first child last year and transferred to Baptist late last year. You can try him as he is quite thorough.

As for the nursing practices of hospitals, it's best to actually go visit them and have a tour, then you can ask all the questions you need to know.

carang is offline Registered User

i would make the trip over the harbour to matilda, the five star hotel...oops, i mean hospital!

it's gorgeous and you will feel like you are in a hotel. the birthing experience will be more of what you are looking for...

good luck and congratulations!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast