Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thalassemia

sunniefaith is offline Registered User

Thalassemia

Just wondering if there are any parents here have children with thalassemia. I want to know what's the support here for children with thalassemia and are treatments for infusion and transfusion expensive in the public hospitals.

Thanks

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I read an article today about Thalassemia in HK magazine. You should pick up a copy, it had a bit of info in it! I was amazed at how many Hong Kong chinese people have it - something like one in every 13 Hong Kong Chinese people!!! That's insanely high... I don't know much about it - but I think that there'd be quite a lot of support here, seeing how high the rate is!!

Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    I read an article today about Thalassemia in HK magazine. You should pick up a copy, it had a bit of info in it! I was amazed at how many Hong Kong chinese people have it - something like one in every 13 Hong Kong Chinese people!!! That's insanely high... I don't know much about it - but I think that there'd be quite a lot of support here, seeing how high the rate is!!
    Thanks! I'll be heading into Central today and I'll hunt down the HK mag. I've heard that it's quite high but at the same time, it's quite puzzling to know that it's that high! I've heard 1 in 11. I wonder why.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think just genetics - probably Chinese carry that gene more than other races... like Africans can tend to carry the gene for sickle cell anemia...

From Wikipedia:
    Generally, thalassemias are prevalent in populations that evolved in humid climates where malaria was endemic, but affects all races. Thalassemias are particularly associated with Arab-Americans, people of Mediterranean origin, and Asians. The estimated prevalence is 16% in people from Cyprus, 3-14% in Thailand, and 3-8% in populations from Bangladesh, China, India, Malaysia and Pakistan.

Crazy hey...

Yup! Wow, looking at the figures, there must be quite a huge number of people that has thalassemia so it's not an uncommon ailment. So there should be support.

Met a little girl who was abandoned by her mother because she has thalassemia. Kinda sad though.

Madeleine is offline Registered User
    Sunnie Faith, please don't get confused between Thalassemia Major and Minor. One in a dozen HK Chinese people have T Minor - but T Minor is often asymptomatic.

You would definitely have to pay for a T Major sufferer's medical treatment - without treatment, they cannot survive. Read about it on Wikipedia if you haven't already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia

I know a bit about this because my husband has T Minor and we had my blood screened to make sure I didn't before we tried for a baby.

rani is offline Administrator
    There's also a Children's Thalassemia Foundation in HK. Unfortunately the website is in Chinese. Maybe someone from work can help you read it.

http://www.thalassaemia.org.hk/frame.html

Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    There's also a Children's Thalassemia Foundation in HK. Unfortunately the website is in Chinese. Maybe someone from work can help you read it.

http://www.thalassaemia.org.hk/frame.html
    Thanks Rani! And her pics are on facebook. She might be my potential Jael. Praying for God's will and today we're having our first interview with the welfare department as well.
    Last edited by sunniefaith; 05-19-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast